American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    WOW! Beautful roos Cara.... and Bill yes he does resemble Gabby....[​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

2. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
  3. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I took some photo's of a few, not posed just wanted to get some decent pictures of color so I brought them out while it wasn't so cold today.
    This is my mottled chocolate pullet, Dottie. Does anyone else think she might have a bit of Silkied in her? Her wings look straightfeathered, she's still young, 6 months, but her neck and back feathering isn't like the other pullets her age. I didn't think much of it before, I just assumed it was a juvenile feathering thing. You know, when they're a couple months old and get a bit scruffy till they moult and get more mature feathering in.

Anyway, anyone think she looks a little silkied?
    [​IMG]

4. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    While I was at it, I took a couple of Sapphire, my blue pullet. She looks so different in natural lighting.

On my desk with the light on and flash, she looks almost black.

[​IMG]

But, outside in the daylight she shows her true color

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    i would have to agree with you she look's half and half . [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I was thinking today how cold and dreary it is and my Serama's are indoors for the winter so I thought I would set them up with a heat lamp over a tub with sand/grit and DE to bathe in this winter. I wish I has thought of this before so I could have bought one of those smallest kids pools on clearance. I probably could find one (used) if I advertised on craigslist here. I think that would be a lot of fun to set up in the garage, a heat lamp or two directed over the sand to warm it and more light. They would just get a little time in it every few days when I had time to allow them out of their pens. I'd let a trio out together. Anyone else think crazy thoughts like this? The sand bath is probably a healthy thing too. They're laying so well right now I want to reward them. I also considered some flat plastic tubs to put potting soil in and get a start of winter wheat and other grasses, lettuce and other greenery growing in it for them. While I'm at it, maybe a small waterfall ........uh, oops, over doing it aren't I?? [​IMG] {{and palm trees to make me feel better about this dreary winter weather}}

Cathy

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Cathy, TOO much...heavens no, you are just being a good momma and thinking of their well being is all. Man the kiddie pool would have been perfect! If nothing else a cardboard box [if you have access to any] for dust bathing would work too.
    Better yet, just bring them ALL in the house and let them take over! [​IMG] [​IMG] I have five in the house at nite...and well.....I am being held captive as we speak........[​IMG]

P.S. Go for the palm trees and waterfall...I can send you the palms........[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

8. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    The sand bath is a great idea. My 2 have a plastic tray of it in their cage all the time and they love it. They are having to be in almost every day now due to cold weather.

9. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    [​IMG] I might consider the box idea, even a large plastic tub would work, just something I can put a heat lamp over to warm the sand and give them a place to stretch and fluff in. I have a single chick in a cage with a light over it on my desk now. It's the only little one till more hatch and they're expected soon, I need to check dates. This is another blue wheaten, anyone working on blue or wanting blues should put their name in now. Blu-T is generous with his blue gene and a nice type. I will likely sell when they're old enough to ship so it will be a few months so anyone interested in blues might want to PM me.

I kept a cockerel from this same mating and he's a lil guy, over 4 months and only 9 ounces. He's blue wheaten like his dad but not as well marked for wheaten, more blue and the red is scattered but his type is looking very good.

Here is the lil single one

[​IMG]

10. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I have a question about the silkied seramas. [​IMG] If both parents are silkied are all of their chicks going to be silkied as well? I was originally thinking it was a percentage of each hatch but 7 out of my 7 chicks from 2 different hatches (same parents) are all silkied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by