American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Quote:all of the babies are going to be silkied. You are right. [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Silkied is recessive, so if both parents are silkied then all the chicks will be as well. The parents have to have 2 genes for silkied to express it, one from the mother and one from the father. Since they both have 2 genes they will both pass the gene on to each of their offspring.
    You can also use a silkied to 'test' your straight-feathered birds to see if they carry silkied. If you pair a silkied with a straight-feathered bird and get some silkied chicks then you know the straight-feathered bird carries silkied. It seems like silkied is very common in Serama.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  3. pongo

pongo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    banning ca
    silkied is a interesting nut LOL

i have my silkied hen breeding to a straight feathered roo and plan to take a cockerel out of them and breed it back to mama..... so much work LOL

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I finally get to join this thread, I just got my first serama hen Bottle-Pop:
    [​IMG]
    She's the black banty to the right of my silver sebright rooster.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

I saw that sebright roo and I'm thinking "Poor girl doesn't know she has a sebright!" [​IMG]

Poor little Bottle-Pop kind of blends into the background....just like a Serama girl for sure!

6. bobbyc1970

bobbyc1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    congrats [​IMG] you will love serama's
    Quote:

7. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll have to add a few of my smooth girls to his coop and see if I get lucky.

Here is a photo of my silkied chicks. The dad is buff and the mom is solid black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mom hatched 3 chicks two weeks ago but she is very protective so it's hard to take photos. They are all mostly black with a tiny bit of yellow on their faces.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  8. bobbyc1970

bobbyc1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    Nice........ [​IMG] Junebug would be the one to ask on silkies. Shes the SilkieWhisperer [​IMG] She has nothing but silkie seramas and she is very nice. She can probably tell you everything there is to them. Cant wait to see them grow out. Congrats

Quote:

9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I love em!
    Quote:

10. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    So today was a very eventful day. I went to pick up some birds I bought, ended up with 2 Smooth hens, 1 Silkie/frizzle Roo, 2 smooth chicks (females) and one silkie/frizzle chick (unknown, hoping girl [​IMG] ).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by