American serama thread!

Quote:
all of the babies are going to be silkied. You are right.
smile.png

Quote:
Silkied is recessive, so if both parents are silkied then all the chicks will be as well. The parents have to have 2 genes for silkied to express it, one from the mother and one from the father. Since they both have 2 genes they will both pass the gene on to each of their offspring.
You can also use a silkied to 'test' your straight-feathered birds to see if they carry silkied. If you pair a silkied with a straight-feathered bird and get some silkied chicks then you know the straight-feathered bird carries silkied. It seems like silkied is very common in Serama.

Last edited:
silkied is a interesting nut LOL

i have my silkied hen breeding to a straight feathered roo and plan to take a cockerel out of them and breed it back to mama..... so much work LOL

I finally get to join this thread, I just got my first serama hen Bottle-Pop:
038-4.JPG

She's the black banty to the right of my silver sebright rooster.

Quote:
lol.png

I saw that sebright roo and I'm thinking "Poor girl doesn't know she has a sebright!"
lau.gif

Poor little Bottle-Pop kind of blends into the background....just like a Serama girl for sure!

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll have to add a few of my smooth girls to his coop and see if I get lucky.

Here is a photo of my silkied chicks. The dad is buff and the mom is solid black.

49748_silkied2.jpg

49748_silkied1.jpg

49748_silkied3.jpg

The mom hatched 3 chicks two weeks ago but she is very protective so it's hard to take photos. They are all mostly black with a tiny bit of yellow on their faces.

Last edited:
Nice........
thumbsup.gif
Junebug would be the one to ask on silkies. Shes the SilkieWhisperer
big_smile.png
She has nothing but silkie seramas and she is very nice. She can probably tell you everything there is to them. Cant wait to see them grow out. Congrats

Quote:

So today was a very eventful day. I went to pick up some birds I bought, ended up with 2 Smooth hens, 1 Silkie/frizzle Roo, 2 smooth chicks (females) and one silkie/frizzle chick (unknown, hoping girl
fl.gif
).

Back
Top Bottom