American serama thread!

Ra_ It's a rooster. .
thumbsup.gif

Whoops. My apologies to the pretty young man.

I have failed at getting more hens to become broodies.
The 6 Powder & Worf eggs are turning into dummy eggs.
I've been trying to get all my hens to set but they just keep laying.

I don't want the eggs in my cooler to get old.
There are more eggs from Worf & Powder trios in there,
along with Deanna & Alfie's trio, who gave me the tiny hens.

12 eggs $49
Free shipping.

If you want to add the USPS special handling, that is $10 more.

Hopefully we'll get a look at the offspring of Powder & Worf & Fifi in 2 more days.
Clodagh & Fluff's clutches are due to hatch on Wednesday.

I have failed at getting more hens to become broodies.
The 6 Powder & Worf eggs are turning into dummy eggs.
I've been trying to get all my hens to set but they just keep laying.

I don't want the eggs in my cooler to get old.
There are more eggs from Worf & Powder trios in there,
along with Deanna & Alfie's trio, who gave me the tiny hens.

12 eggs $49
Free shipping.

If you want to add the USPS special handling, that is $10 more.

Hopefully we'll get a look at the offspring of Powder & Worf & Fifi in 2 more days.
Clodagh & Fluff's clutches are due to hatch on Wednesday.

Possibly I can provide some insight as to why your hens do not become broody. If you wish, post a picture of the breeding pen that you are using and I will compare to what I am doing.

My bird room is about 10 X 20. Other than the extra roosters the birds are free in that area. For birds that are uncaged there is one rooster and nine pullets/hens; a bunch of chicks ranging in age. Three of the hens are brooding on dummy eggs after the squirrel incident. Normally one or two are laying at a time which makes it easy to get them in a nest of their own for brooding. Up until last weekend I have been lucky with the serama in getting every hen to brood and having good hatches. Now things are in disarray. Normally I would put a lot of effort into squirrel proofing the room, but as we are moving soon, hopefully, it hardly matters.

I have nesting boxes in individual coops and also in a larger communal room.
I noticed that a hen rejected the nesting box in favor of the small night security cages in there.
Clodagh has been nesting happily in there ever since & I've set the adjoining cells up for other hens.
There is room to walk around and I provide food & water both in the cage & in the communal room.
There is a large door I can keep open or closed on the cage/nest.

I think the setting is good, I think I just have to learn to read better when a hen is ready.

I have nesting boxes in individual coops and also in a larger communal room.
I noticed that a hen rejected the nesting box in favor of the small night security cages in there.
Clodagh has been nesting happily in there ever since & I've set the adjoining cells up for other hens.
There is room to walk around and I provide food & water both in the cage & in the communal room.
There is a large door I can keep open or closed on the cage/nest.

I think the setting is good, I think I just have to learn to read better when a hen is ready.

Yes, It does sound good-very good. One thing I've noticed with my birds is that if the hen has not really accepted a nest box as her own, she will not brood. I offset that by offering as many different kinds of nests as I can. I've noticed, too, that the hens seem to use the same nest each time. My frizzle hen is brooding for, the fourth time-maybe the fifth, in that same cereal bowl. She's on dummy eggs. I'd rather the hens brood for a while instead of laying eggs I can't do anything with. My wife refuses to eat eggs when there's a rooster. I have tried to explain-oh bother!

When it rains it pours. The home in TN went to someone else with cash in their pocket. One day we're getting approved at a bank and the next we're told the home sold to someone else. Back to square one.

I'll send you 4 eggs now if you're ready to try again.
Or you can wait until after the move.

I've also listed 8 eggs for $22.
I've got 3 hens on eggs but the rest aren't ready to set.
I don't want all the potential beautiful babies to go to waste.

The feather fixer finally started to work for one of my hens! Al of my bird feathers grew in gorgeous and now she is laying! Going to set it today!

Back
Top Bottom