American serama thread!

I have a genetics question about seramas. I somewhat understand the genetics behind coloring but my latest hatch has me puzzled. I have a black and gold cockeral over two fairly standard wheaton hens and 3 of the 4 eggs have hatched out pure white it appears. I am still waiting on to fourth to finish hatching but I don't quite get how that works. Maybe someone here can explain it to me. I may also be describing the colors incorrectly. Feel free to correct my limited color lingo.

I have a genetics question about seramas. I somewhat understand the genetics behind coloring but my latest hatch has me puzzled. I have a black and gold cockeral over two fairly standard wheaton hens and 3 of the 4 eggs have hatched out pure white it appears. I am still waiting on to fourth to finish hatching but I don't quite get how that works. Maybe someone here can explain it to me. I may also be describing the colors incorrectly. Feel free to correct my limited color lingo.
Serama have no set coloring, therefore they carry the genetics of their ancestors. In this case the birds are one color but carry the genetics of other colors. so your chicks are a different color than their parents. A bird's genetics can also combine with another bird's genes to produce a chick that is different. Dominant, recessive, incomplete dominance, modifying genes, etc all work to produce young that may well look different than mom and dad.

The chick in the picture may look like mom when it gets older. I often have yellow/white chicks hatch out, but when the feathers start to come in they are other colors; even some with black feathering.

Last edited:
Thank you. I knew i could get anything it was just the four pure white down chicks confused me. The odds of 4 pure whites seems pretty astronomical but i guess ill wait for real feathers to judge color. I guess that is one reason I like seramas so much is the true easter egg that you never know what's inside. I hope they stop trying to standardize the colors.

My 1st batch of Serama's r hatching, my little hen is being so dedicated. Her 1st also. She is very young, not more than 6-7 months old. We r all so excited, I am praying they all live.

My 1st batch of Serama's r hatching, my little hen is being so dedicated. Her 1st also. She is very young, not more than 6-7 months old. We r all so excited, I am praying they all live.

:clap congrats! Hope you will post some pics!!

I checked 6 eggs under my young broody this evening. A couple were clear, so I swapped those with ones out of the Bator so she can have a full hatch. I hope. :fl

For those of you with tribbles from Ra_, my two young tribble pullets have been laying. Not having a tribble rooster I put my frizzle rooster with the two. I put the first seventeen eggs under three broody hens. The first egg was clear, the second DIS, and the other fifteen eggs all have developing chicks in them. The first of them starts to hatch Tuesday. I'm curious how they will turn out; maybe frizzle silkied serma????

For those of you with tribbles from Ra_, my two young tribble pullets have been laying. Not having a tribble rooster I put my frizzle rooster with the two. I put the first seventeen eggs under three broody hens. The first egg was clear, the second DIS, and the other fifteen eggs all have developing chicks in them. The first of them starts to hatch Tuesday. I'm curious how they will turn out; maybe frizzle silkied serma????

They are Sizzles.

I have one rooster from Ra_
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom