American serama thread!

How long do seramas grow? If I have a 3 month old serama, will it get larger or just heavier as it matures? At what point do you know it's finished growing as tall as it's going to grow?

Out of the 4 I bought locally my youngest little girl is so tiny, I swear she hasn't grown a peep and she's close to 3 months old now. None of the 3 month olds seem to have grown either.
With the serama I have, the smaller (under 10 ounces) develop/mature slower than the larger birds. Over 10 ounce pullets seem to stop/slow growth when the reach sexual maturity-4 to 5 months-only gaining in weight after that. My roosters continue to gain in size and weight until about 6 months or so. With the minies growth varies; I have one tiny pullet that is 1 5/8 ounce at 2 months and a rooster, that at 4+ months is 5.5 ounces. I expect that he will gain in weight; possibly in size too.

This guy was a cull at 6 months-had a really low small chest and what appeared to be squirrel tail. This is him first time on the table at 9 months! Far from my best but still a nice little bird!
He's beautiful. You know mine are no where near this quality, I think you are just trying to ruin my keyboard with my drooling :)

He's beautiful. You know mine are no where near this quality, I think you are just trying to ruin my keyboard with my drooling :)
Thank you very much! He is a good boy. You have them and now you know you like the breed-your "starter birds"
big_smile.png
Let me know when you are ready for a breeder or show pair
hugs.gif
People say it is a lot to spend on birds but when you figure out how much you spend on shipped eggs or birds with defects, it is actually a good investment and you save money by being able to produce quality chicks. I have some pet quality seramas that I wouldn't trade for the world but the true beauty of the breed is seen when you get a really nice one!!!
love.gif

my little muttly ones catch visitors eyes when they come around. I had someone come around today to buy chicks and immediately they zoomed in on the serama. I had to stress those are not for sale haha.

They are really super smart little guys. When I let the chicks out for free range the serama head right for the shrub border and the younger but larger sultan chicks follow right along. If left on their own, the sultans would be in the middle of the yard drawing hawks. The serama are smarter than that it seems.

Thank you very much! He is a good boy. You have them and now you know you like the breed-your "starter birds"
big_smile.png
Let me know when you are ready for a breeder or show pair
hugs.gif
People say it is a lot to spend on birds but when you figure out how much you spend on shipped eggs or birds with defects, it is actually a good investment and you save money by being able to produce quality chicks. I have some pet quality seramas that I wouldn't trade for the world but the true beauty of the breed is seen when you get a really nice one!!!
love.gif
i am defiantly looking forward to getting a good quality trio from you soon :) i have been telling people about the seramas and buying pairs or trios instead of eggs, most people just think "chicken" and are unimpressed until they see them. or complain that its to costly to buy 2 or three birds rather than hatching eggs, then you gotta point out all of the issues that COULD come up hatching and shipping eggs. i think that it is much more worth the time to buy quality birds than eggs when you live rural alaska like here! (except maybe my cemanis i had amazing hatches buying eggs offline)

OMG I know this is a serama thread, but as I was sending that last post my wounded Ayam coming her I have inside came up to me and was grunting and panting so I rubbed her tummy so she... Layer an egg on my lap! Crazy!!

Back
Top Bottom