American serama thread!

Quote:
THat is what I understand Bill, either it is frizzled or it is not and does not carry the gene.

Frizzled to smooth is 50% probability of frizzled or smooth. Probabilities are averaged over a large number and long period. Therefore, I can still have 4 frizzleds out of 4 hatched and next time I may have 4 smooth out of 4 hatched.

Now the silkied gene is recessive and can be carried and not shown (hidden) in a smooth bird if received from one parent.

I have a smooth rooster who carries the silkied gene. His mate is a frizzled that also carries the silkied gene so I get mainly silkieds and silkied frizzles from the pairing.

Quote:
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
th.gif

Soooo beautiful . . . if you have eggs for sale, any time, ever . . . I want them!
bow.gif

Yes, they should be fine together.

Lol that's what I was thinking! It's hard finding people who sell Silkied Serama eggs. It's usually smooth and some frizzles and the occasional Silkied. I've been looking all over the place for Silkied eggs. And those girls are BEAUTIFUL

I will have silkied only in the late summer, early fall
big_smile.png
I'm getting silkied only eggs to hatch in March and plan to set up a couple pens. I have one pen already with silkieds but only get an egg every other day.

Quote:
The colors can change a lot. I've seen that color on a male chick turn into kind of duckwing later, or on a female chick what they call a silver penciled, or silver wheaton. Here's a little pullet of mine that was that color as a baby.

IMG_7589.jpg

She's a tiny little thing, hasn't laid any eggs yet, and just under 6 months old in this pic.

Quote:
The colors can change a lot. I've seen that color on a male chick turn into kind of duckwing later, or on a female chick what they call a silver penciled, or silver wheaton. Here's a little pullet of mine that was that color as a baby.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/chaili1025/IMG_7589.jpg

She's a tiny little thing, hasn't laid any eggs yet, and just under 6 months old in this pic.

That's a calander photo!! Very nice. Her penciling is just beautiful!

62617_dscn0168.jpg
This one of mine wants to be like yours but so far she's not making it. She is young so I hope her color/pattern will develop more. She is very soft feathered.

Quote:
what do you serama peeps think of these Maui birds??

CAn you post the bigger pictures on this thread, I can't really see them.

54190_p1050515.jpg

54190_p1050500.jpg

54190_pc040433.jpg

looking for feedback on these maui birds, be honest even the faults

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't use a turner with mine. The one time I did, the insides were so scrambled, wavy air sacs in every single one of them....but I know a lot of people do. Your eggs are going out later today or tomorrow morning
smile.png

I use a turner and a fan heater inside the bater also. I dont change the heat/humidity from day one and have a good rate of hatchings.

Quote:
I am in Northern WA state, up by the Canadian border. We have not yet had a truly "cold" day yet, our coldest so far has been around 13 at night. Mine do have a insulated coop to get in at night and I have a light in the coop. But they all come out the next day and spend the day outside...even when the day has not got much above 25. Mine are doing fine. Many put them in a garage or shed for the winter...in cages like rabbit cages. Seramas seem to be happy under any housing. Oh, I also have one who has special priveledges...she is a house chicken.

13!!! It hasn't got'n much below 30 here, a few nights in the 20's and that's it, it's been jumping from 60-40 sometimes 30 for a month. I'm sick of the warm weather, apparently mother nature forgot it's supposed to be winter.

It's been weird here too, no snow on the ground and my bulbs are coming up! If every winter was like this, the chickens would never get cold:)

Hi everyone. My name's Kelsey and I'm relatively new to seramas... just hatched my first chicks out last month from a pair I bought last summer. The runt of my hatch is feathering out differently on each side of her body--same colors, but different textures. Just wondering if anyone else has seen or experienced this

Here's her normal smooth side (taken a week or two ago):
109017_2011-12-31_16-37-05_49.jpg

And here's her other side (pics taken today):
109017_2012-01-09_11-52-56_572.jpg

109017_2012-01-09_11-53-24_402.jpg

Any thoughts? I posted in the raising chicks forum and no one really knew what to say except maybe she'll feather out differently after she molts. Thought I'd check with the experts! Both parent birds are smooth.

Back
Top Bottom