American serama thread!

I don't think chickens will have any more diseases than any other domesticated bird or pet for that matter. There is the bird flu but there is no reason for your bird to catch it especially if it's in the house. The roos do crow, usually much less loudly than a larger bird, but individual birds can be manic about crowing, or mostly silent, you never know?

Good luck with your choices!!! I just have eggs in the incubator, no Seramas yet, but I'm so excited and am hoping the two that got this far, and are due to hatch early next week make it!!!

Chickens can carry a lot more diseases and seem to get them more often than some other birds. I'm not talking about bird flu, I'm talking about Mareks, coccidiosis, fowl pox, mites, lice, infectious bronchitis, coryza, Newcastle, Aspergillosis, etc. etc. They seem much more susceptible than other barnyard birds like ducks and geese and some of these diseases they can carry without any apparent signs.

I'm not saying don't get them, I'm just saying be cautious. It would be awful to infect a beloved pet that you already have. Personally, I would never have them around my Sun Conure. I might be overcautious, but I'd rather not risk it.

I'm sure it's smart to be careful with all animals, but I'm of the opinion that we build our immunities up through exposure, As long as everything is clean and kept healthy and happy, I figure it's all good, but I could be wrong! I just really like animals and think the kids learn so much from them, that it's well worth it ???

Gosh, now I'm feeling like I'm getting sick, ROFL, it's psychosomatic, I'm sure, just thinking of diseases made my throat go sour,
lau.gif

My 2 Serama eggs from Louisiana are going into lockdown tomorrow, Yaay!!!
celebrate.gif

Thanks All for the info. on Laura's eggs.. New stupid question: has anyone had them shipped cross country?

Grandma Bird: DH is currently building me a mini coop and run in the basement.I'll post pics when he's done. I have little choice because of the harsh winters here. We'll see, but I'm not expecting too much mess. They have the tidiest coop now, besides, I've had parrots. Parrots are messy!!!
If you are looking for eggs closer to you then I can give you some info. I ordered eggs from a BYC member on here. She lives in North Carolina which would be much closer to you.Her birds are very nice! I ordered 12 eggs and she sent me 15. Out of the 15 eggs I have in the incubator from her 10 are looking great! 10 of 15 is a great hatch rate for shipped eggs. I would be a little nervous shipping them from very far away. If you are interested let me know and I will get you her info. It was 25.00.

I'm now on the list for Booted chicks! Horray!

As for the questions regarding Seramas in the house:

Seramas are much quieter and cleaner than a parrot, budgy, or similar bird. They require only a 2'x2' cage as long as they are aloud some time to roam the house. The roos do crow, but it is generally only as loud as ringneck dove cooing and is definitely much much quieter than a parakeet or a cockatiel squacking. there is about as much dander and dust as a regular bird this size.

The majority of chickens are disease free, it is only a few that actually carry these diseases, we all just hear about the diseased ones. Raising them with proper sanitation and keeping them healthy and well fed will reduce these diseases. A healthy, stress free chicken is often a disease free chicken.

I have raised seramas in the house with my button quail, parakeets, etc. for many years without incident.

If you are looking for eggs closer to you then I can give you some info. I ordered eggs from a BYC member on here. She lives in North Carolina which would be much closer to you.Her birds are very nice! I ordered 12 eggs and she sent me 15. Out of the 15 eggs I have in the incubator from her 10 are looking great! 10 of 15 is a great hatch rate for shipped eggs. I would be a little nervous shipping them from very far away. If you are interested let me know and I will get you her info. It was 25.00.
Yes, I would definitely appreciate that info. Laura's birds are really sweet, but I have a feeling 3,000 miles may be a bit much on such teensie eggs. 10 out of 15 is a great hatch for any shipped eggs, let alone Serama. That's a borderline miracle!!

Chickens can carry a lot more diseases and seem to get them more often than some other birds. I'm not talking about bird flu, I'm talking about Mareks, coccidiosis, fowl pox, mites, lice, infectious bronchitis, coryza, Newcastle, Aspergillosis, etc. etc. They seem much more susceptible than other barnyard birds like ducks and geese and some of these diseases they can carry without any apparent signs.

I'm not saying don't get them, I'm just saying be cautious. It would be awful to infect a beloved pet that you already have. Personally, I would never have them around my Sun Conure. I might be overcautious, but I'd rather not risk it.
I have all sorts of poultry, chickens, swans, guineas and turkeys and raise most of my chicks inside from hatching to the beginning of feathering and I have my African Grey parrot in here too. Never had an issue with anything. Keep things clean and your birds healthy and they should all be fine

Tonight, I went to a show to drop off some birds, and ended up with a very young Serama pullet. I've already studied the breed standard, but was wondering if they were safe to be kept with a Bantam Cochins, Wyandottes, and a PR? She is going to be used as a show bird, and I want to keep her in top condition.

man now i have a dilemma!! Joe's girl Josie has gone broody, i have some of laura's eggs in the bator... so do i shift them over to her....???? she seems to have chronic broody syndrom! if i do, then it means poor joe will be by himself again, sigh... poor guy, he can't sneeze without her going broody! but i sure dont want to risk those eggs, thoughts guys??? the funny thing is she started staring at my brinsea like, I CAN DO IT BETTER!!

Back
Top Bottom