Americana? Auracana? Easter Egger?

jalen911

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Hi there,
I'm new to backyard chickens so forgive me for asking what is likely an easy question. The gal I got her from said she was an Americana pullet. She has the cheek tufts- does this mean she is an easter egger?
Thanks!

She's an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers are often sold as "Americanas", which is incorrect (its a misspelling of "Ameraucana"). Ameraucanas and Araucanas are two pure bred breeds that come in a set number of color varieties and lay blue eggs. Any bird that isn't one of seven or so colors, is an Easter Egger. To be a true Araucana or Ameraucana, they also have to lay blue eggs and have slate colored legs.

Last edited:
Hi there,
I'm new to backyard chickens so forgive me for asking what is likely an easy question. The gal I got her from said she was an Americana pullet. She has the cheek tufts- does this mean she is an easter egger?
Thanks!

Your pretty hen is an Easter Egger. EEs are a mixed breed of chicken that lay colored (blue, green, pink, etc.) eggs and usually have pea combs, muffs and a beard, and greenish legs. They can be almost any color.

Ameraucanas are a purebred breed of chicken that always lay blue eggs, have muffs/beard, and slate blue legs, and are one of the 8 recognized (by the American Poultry Association) color varieties. The Araucana is another pure breed of chicken that is believed to have originated in South American. Araucanas are unique in that they have no tails, and have large ear tufts on either side of their head. They, too, lay blue-green eggs, and have a set number of recognized color varieties. Many hatcheries mistakenly sell Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas or Araucanas.

Cool, I'm just going to call her an Easter Egger going forward when people ask:) She's a lovely & sweet girl and her personality is adorable- she's such a great girl! I'm SO excited to get eggs from her~ any day now Dorothy! :)
Thanks!!

Hi there,
Thanks!

What an awesome looking EE! I totally want a gold bird with a black beard.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom