Americana?? (maybe!?) rooster or hen?..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kimv143, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Kimv143

Kimv143 Hatching

Mar 22, 2012
    [=[​IMG]][=[​IMG]][/][/] We bought this chicken and were told it was an Americana hen, but now, looking at pictures I'm not so sure. We have had her (?) for almost 5 weeks now and still No eggs... ( we bought two other "young hens who were laying" from the same girl at the same time and have yet to get any eggs at all, so I'm a little suspicious of anything this girl told me!!...) so what does everyone think?.... I'm not sure on the age, she said it was either born last July or this January.... But who knows what to beleive :) thanks!!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    hen, and when they are stressed (like moving homes) they may quite laying for a bit of time

3. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's an Easter Egger hen. And I agree, they could be holding off from the stress of the move, or illness.

4. Birde

Birde Chirping

Apr 17, 2012
    :love my hen like that was hit by a car :( you were told the truth. She will lay you pretty green eggs

5. Larkin

Larkin Chirping

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    If she was hatched in January, could be too soon to lay! She's pretty though, enjoy!

6. dolly85

dolly85 Songster

Jun 1, 2010
    She may be a little young to start laying. Try to supplement their light if you can, this will enoucrage them to lay for you! Otherwise with the days getting longer they should start to lay within a few months granted they have plenty of food and water and aren't stressed.

7. Kimv143

Kimv143 Hatching

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks everyone! She's a super sweet girl :) I thought it could be stress related with the move, but 5 weeks just seemed a little long. I'm trying to make these new girls as comfy as possible. I don't think there last home was very good to them- the brown egg layer I got from there had claws that were probably about 5 inches or longer, and really curly, a couple of her toes had really hard dried up manure balls stuck to them :(. She was sold to us as a frizzle, but as soonas we cut her nails back and she could walk normally, she became a lot less frizzled! I think she was just frazzled is more like it!!! Poor things. At our house they have a ton of space to roam, I don't think they are used to the freedom maybe.

8. Birde

Birde Chirping

Apr 17, 2012
    Put some vasalene on there feet if they are dried looking. Apply at dark. It helps suffocate mites that could cause it. Works great.

9. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    Hen. My bantams didn't lay for about a month after we got them. They were both 1 year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by