Americana not able to stand up

GaLinemansWife

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Dallas
I have a lavender americana hen that is about 10 months old that was laying in the corner of her pen just a bit ago when I went down to feed/water. She has not started laying yet so I thought it was odd and picked her up. I felt all around thinking maybe she had an impacted egg, and I cant feel anything. She had a ball of poop stuck to her feathers from laying down so I pulled it apart (it was soft, jelly like brown with some solid) and I saw no sign of worms or blood. I have her on very fine pine shavings and in her pen is just she and her americana rooster. I let them out almost daily in the chicken yard and they eat laying crumbles along with 3 way scratch and bird seed mixed in, along with leafy veggies and she has been eating. The only thing that has been done differently was this week, for about three days they have been given some hamburger buns that were given to me by a McDonalds that was closing. The buns didnt have any mold or anything and they dont seem to like them anyway. They were wormed a couple of months ago by my friend whom previously owned them and they have always been exceptionally healthy. I just gave her a drop of Wazine because things my friend read suggested she could be wormy. When you pick her up her feet are drawn up to her chest. She can move her feet, she just will not stand up or put any pressure on them. I see no sign of injury or other symptoms of illness. I brought her into the house and have her in a wire bottomed cage. Please help if you have any information or ideas on what this could be. Thank you.

Thank you so much, it was really kind of you to reply. I always hear people go on and on about this site, but I can never seem to get info from people
hu.gif
anyway, I am sending her off to a veterinary college to have a necropsy done on her to find out what happened. Ill update when I get the results.

Back
Top Bottom