"Americanas"?

Meyer Hatchery is one of the only big hatcheries that is honest about their birds. They label their Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas properly. Blue is an accepted color for pure Ameraucana, blue splash is not though.

Meyer Hatchery is one of the only big hatcheries that is honest about their birds. They label their Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas properly. Blue is an accepted color for pure Ameraucana, blue splash is not though.
That's true. So does My Pet Chicken, which is not actually a hatchery, but recieves its chicks from Meyer. Meyer is actually where I order my chicks from.
Sure, but there is more to whether or not it's an Ameraucana than just feather color.
I agree.

Hmm, can't get pictures to upload from phone.
Upload them to the website by going to your profile and scrolling down to "Pictures" and clicking "Upload". Then you can re-post by clicking the little image icon on the menu with the "Bold" and "Italic" and it will give options of which picture to add and what size to make it.

Has anyone heard of Blue Ameracauna? Sorry if spelling is wrong?

Yes, they are available from Meyer Hatchery which is the only major hatchery that carries Ameraucanas. Meyer carries only the Blue Ameraucanas and they charge five times as much for them as they do for their Easter Eggers.

Hatcheries purposefully misspell Ameraucana, Americauna. They are basically acknowledging that their birds hardly resemble pure Ameraucana, and are trying to trick uneducated/misinformed people into thinking they are buying the real thing. They also charge slightly more for these 'Easter Eggers' than they charge for other common breeds like Orpingtons, Rocks, and Sexlinks. My 'Americauna' where a dollar more than my Australorps and Barred Rocks. Still not anywhere close to costing as much as a pure Ameraucana, but a bit dishonest if you ask me.

Agreed. Some hatchery's (such as mcmurray) sell their EE's as ''Ameraucana/Araucanas'' and they have a picture of an Araucana in their catalog (though they do at least have a disclaimer saying the birds are not for show). Cackle and Efowl hatchery's are now at least selling their birds as Easter Eggers. A lot of hatchery's also state that Easter egger and Ameraucanas are different names for the same breed. I agree, it's dishonest. One of the many reasons I don't like to support hatchery's.

I purchased some birds labeled Americanas from Hoover's. I requested 5 pullets, but I believe one of them is a roo. Can anyone verify that this roo is, indeed, an Americana (Easter Egger)?

And, for good measure, will I be getting colored eggs from these girls?

Back
Top Bottom