Americauna 5 month’s, no eggs

amanda1

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2015
All my hens started molting and stopped laying last October. We had a dry winter with no eggs until the end of January when they slowly started laying again. All, except my Americauna. She has not laid an egg since October and now we are at the end of March. She is only not quite two years old! She is my only blue egg layer so I’d know if she were laying. I’ve looked all over the run and coop to make sure she wasn’t hiding them anywhere and there is no sign of blue eggs!

Is this normal for this breed?

I had an Americauna go on strike for nearly 6 months, then start again, still not sure why. I wouldn't worry unless she's showing any other signs or odd behaviors (indicative of illness) and just wait it out a bit longer. I would double check she's getting enough calcium and hours of daylight (but with others laying, probably not the reason), is it possible she's stressed? Are the other hens picking on her maybe? I wouldn't really worry unless she doesn't lay for another month or so (or starts acting weird or displaying other worrisome behaviors), then I would try to find a nearby veterinarian that has experience with poultry. Keep us updated with any news, hopefully she starts laying again!

Thank you! She is second for last in the pecking order out of what was 8 hens, until today, I lost one. She has always been flighty but nothing unusual is happening to stress her. I did notice a bit of a poopy butt on her in the last few weeks, but otherwise nothing that concerned me. Thank you for the quick advice!

She's close then.
Most birds start laying as soon as you start a thread complaining about them not laying.
:gig Mostly kidding, but it's been known to happen.
Just to clarify, she was laying for me last year, but stopped in October when she started molting.

Back
Top Bottom