Americauna isn't laying... Help?!

brittanytwenter

Hatching
Dec 28, 2015
Yuma, AZ
Hi all! Long-time reader of the site, finally got an account :D
I've had three wonderful hens for about three months now. My White Leghorn and my Rhode Island Red started laying after having them for a couple of weeks, but my Americauna never started. They're all around the same age, they all eat well and are very active, the stress level is low as we're in a quiet neighborhood... My husband was genuinely worried that somehow we ended up with a rooster because she's taking so long to lay!
I read articles and threads on here about hens who stopped laying, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for as my Americauna wasn't laying to begin with.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Hi all! Long-time reader of the site, finally got an account :D
I've had three wonderful hens for about three months now. My White Leghorn and my Rhode Island Red started laying after having them for a couple of weeks, but my Americauna never started. They're all around the same age, they all eat well and are very active, the stress level is low as we're in a quiet neighborhood... My husband was genuinely worried that somehow we ended up with a rooster because she's taking so long to lay!
I read articles and threads on here about hens who stopped laying, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for as my Americauna wasn't laying to begin with.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BYC.

Your use of the word "Americauna" tells me that there is a very good chance you have an Easter Egger. EEs are very frequently mislabeled as Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Americanas, and Amercaunas. If you search "Ameraucana vs. Easter Egger" on this website or on google, you will find many informative articles explaining the differences.

EEs are known for laying later than most breeds. On average you'll see them begin laying around 24-28 weeks but some may take upwards of 30.

Back
Top Bottom