Americauna.. laying light brown eggs?

gretchen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
I got 2 Americaunas, as well as Golden Comets, Barred Rocks and Wyandottes this Spring. They are all (pretty much) laying now and I just saw one of the Americaunas in the nesting box and when my daughter brought me the egg it was light brown! The other one has beautiful light blue eggs... so, is she really an Americauna laying light brown eggs or is she something else? She looked just like my other one as a chick, then she turned light brown with black highlights in her feathers, where as my other one is black with dark brown highlights in her feathers..

ginger.jpg

I don't know what she is, but she sure is beautiful!! She almost looks like she has blue/purple feathers. Really gorgeous.

That's because they are Easter Eggers, if labeled as AmerIcanas, especially, and not the pure Ameraucana breed. Easter Eggers can lay any color egg, although most of the time they tend to lay greenish ones.
Edited to Add: Ameraucanas are only supposed to lay eggs in the blue color family, some may be greenish-blue, but they should always be blue in some form, per breed standard. They should never be pink, brown or army green, if they are true Ameraucanas. Nothing wrong with any of the colors, but if you have an Easter Egger, you could be disappointed when they begin to lay, if you were expecting blue eggs. Also, note the spelling: the proper breed spelling is "AMERAUCANA". If the hatchery spells it with an "I", or worse, says "Americana/Araucana", you have an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. Here is a link that explains the some of the differences
http://creefarm.fateback.com/ameraucana.html

Last edited:
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I just picked up 4 new Americauna's cuz I want to add some colour to my already batch of white and brown eggs....

Keeping my fingers crossed that one of my girls will lay green eggs then
fl.gif

Kerri

I purchased them from our local feed store, I think they got them from Ideal. They are beautiful! I have to say that the other one, mostly back with brown is the prettiest girl of the bunch and might be going to the fair next summer.

They are pretty, gretchen! Ideal does sell Easter Eggers-I've seen them at my own local feedstore as well. They can be lovely girls and lay very pretty eggs-not a thing wrong with that! I just hate for them to be misrepresented as they are and disappoint people who want blue eggs or want to show them and are disqualified for having nonstandard colors, etc.

Hi, alright I have been reading through the postings and have some pictures of my chickens and of some eggs..
This site has been fantastic and I love seeing all the different pictures.. Great job guys...
But i have some questions.

So far the gold colored Americana (Henny Penny) has not started laying I am hoping for blue eggs but who knows the other (Silly Sally) has just started laying and I believe hers to be a light brownish pink egg. I have 5 chickens that are laying and can only for sure match 2 with the hens..

The white egg belongs to Meg Pie which is the white leghorn
The dark brown one is Molly's she is my Golden sexlink This I know for sure the rest is speculation.
Ruby who is my red star she lays a light brown egg
Dot my Winedot she also lays a light brown egg
I am 90% the pinkish brown one comes from Sally.
Can you tell me for sure what kind of chickens these are I was told from the breeder they are Americana's.
Thank you all
chickens11-11-07001.jpg

Last edited:
I think you got the EE's like me... I love em', they are beautiful birds but only one of my two is laying blue, the other has light pink with light white spots. I have the sex links too, the darkest eggs in my basket, followed by the barred rock and the wyandottes.... but my "Americauna's" are sad to say surely EE"s one doing blue and the other doing the pink... but now I know in the Spring to go looking for some pure breeds at the Fair and the swaps! If my husband wasn't a web designer there would be no way I could post a pic... good luck!

Back
Top Bottom