Americaunas crossed with Rhode Island Red rooster?

paulandmisty

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
I was just given some hatching eggs from Americauna hens with a RIR father. Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of chicken will come out?

I was just given some hatching eggs from Americauna hens with a RIR father. Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of chicken will come out?

1st off Welcome to BYC.
Then, the chicks should be a variety of colors but probably with alot of red in them. Should be good layers and will probably lay brown or green eggs.
Next, enjoy your chicks.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply. You hit on exactly what I was wondering about. What kind of layers would they be, what kind of eggs would they have, and what kind of coloring would be more dominant.

1st off Welcome to BYC.
Then, the chicks should be a variety of colors but probably with alot of red in them. Should be good layers and will probably lay brown or green eggs.
Next, enjoy your chicks.

I have a hen out of this same cross. She is largely red with some white lacing as a result of the pattern gene from her mother (a hatchery EE), has an S-shaped single comb, yellow skin, and lays large brown eggs. I plan to put her and two production reds under a Wheaten Ameraucana cock in a few weeks just to hatch some eggs for fun. I like the red coloring and figure it'd be nice to have some reddish-colored green egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom