Amish

I live around a lot of Amish or perhaps Mennonite. They seem to be really keen on helping each other earn a living. So if you can find one that provides a service(fencing,carpentry,etc) you could ask them if they know anyone as that processes birds. In my area there is a amish farmer's market, you know the kind where they sell everything like food, sheds, crafts, furniture. If you could find a place like that, I'm sure you could find someone there. And there are amish in the phonebook that's how I got my goat fence put up. If you look for certain surnames in the phonebook like Esch or Lapp and if they provide a service they might be amish/mennonite or related to someone who is.

Quote:
Yep, it did
wink.png

Hello Jonas Lapp/Yoder/Esch/Deiner/Chupp speaking

UH yes this is Jonathan Jones your name sounds like an Amishmen

Yeah??

So are you? Amish that is?

Uh Why?

I hear you folks kill Chickens right?

Well uh Grandma used to butcher some, this is Dr. Lapp anything I can do for you?

I can hear it now

We have a small community in our area. They are people like us. They are often just as curious about our culture as we are of theirs. I don't think you need a book of Amish Educatory to get 3 chickens processed. The best advise I've read so far would be to find a business in their community and ask around. General Store,Stockyards or a local Feed Mill would be a good place to start. Probably any day other than Sunday like Jaku said. They are good business people who have lived in our society long enough to know the value of a good ol' american $. Here they sell their fresh baked goods for top $ and still shop at the Strohmann Day Old bread store for their own goods. Use some common sense and plain ol' respect and you'll be fine. Like I said, they are human just like us. As a teen some 25 years ago, I drank beer and listened to AC/DC out in the fields on Friday and Saturday nights with them in Warren Center,PA. Life was good. Will

Last edited:
My friend of mine is in the same situation ....she has Mennonite neighbours surronding her place....very hard working people that have helped them renovate their old farm house ..and her grandkids play with there kids and watch and help with farm chores including culling chickens ....they have became good friends but when she was given three white turkeys that needed to have the deed done she asked her one neighbour if she could do the "deed" and she told my friend if she really really needed it done she would do it for her but because of the "regulations" theyre not "allowed" to do this anymore for neighbours only for others in their community ...she felt bad because she knows my friend cannot do the deed....But my friend found another person who's in the bussiness of culling to do it...
Also on another note ....my friend showed them a green egg and they were blown away !

This thread is actually very humorous to me. Since when does being an Amish or Mennonite automatically mean you butcher chickens? I am a Mennonite. I haven't butchered a chicken since I was 15 or 16 (40+ years ago) when I was helping my folks and swore I'd never pluck another chicken as long as I lived. Just because I've got a Mennonite last name doesn't mean I'm looking to butcher chickens!!!

well said Katy, but that doesn't change the fact that there are some Amish in some communities that are very willing to butcher..my community being one..the family here welcomes the chance to make a little extra..it was a suggestion of one of the places to look; it is a possitive thing not a negative in regards to the "Amish" label. In this area even the older farmers, dairymen, etc turn to the Amish Community first when they need various things done, repairs, fencing, logging..it has to do being honesty and trust worthy.

If you have been offended by anything I have posted re: Amish, I apologize, it certainly wasn't meant to be offensive.

Back
Top Bottom