Amputate guinea leg

ajneal30

Songster
7 Years
May 22, 2012
My guinea got caught in a coyote trap. Compound fracture, hanging by a little bit of skin and flesh. I splinted and bandaged in hopes of saving the leg. Changed the bandages tonight and I'm pretty sure the leg isn't salvageable. Vet isn't an option, but I'm going to call around tomorrow anyway just in case.
My question is, if I can't get a vet to see him or I can't afford the vet bill, what would be the best option for amputating the leg? If I got a demasculator and was able to position the band right in his joint, would that work? I want to do this with the least stress and pain as I can. He's still fighting, I want to give him a chance.
Can I give him anything for pain?

My guinea got caught in a coyote trap. Compound fracture, hanging by a little bit of skin and flesh. I splinted and bandaged in hopes of saving the leg. Changed the bandages tonight and I'm pretty sure the leg isn't salvageable. Vet isn't an option, but I'm going to call around tomorrow anyway just in case.
My question is, if I can't get a vet to see him or I can't afford the vet bill, what would be the best option for amputating the leg? If I got a demasculator and was able to position the band right in his joint, would that work? I want to do this with the least stress and pain as I can. He's still fighting, I want to give him a chance.
Can I give him anything for pain?
Guineas like most poultry can survive and get along with just one leg. I would just cut it off at the fracture and apply blood stop or another astringent such as alum to quickly stop any bleeding.

At least one person that I know of fashioned a fake leg for her guinea once the injured part was healed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom