Amy Winehouse found dead....

Quote:
I think "Just Say NO" would only apply to kids who have not tried drugs yet. Once that line is crossed it must be a terrible battle to overcome addiction. I would never apply it to someone in recovery.
smile.png

Alot of people believe it is that simple. I am of the thought that if you don't really know, then you don't REALLY know.

I really don't. I have been around addicts all of my life but have never tried drugs myself. I commend you for kicking the habit because none of the people I know/knew were able to. Perhaps watching them spiral out of control is what turned me off of the idea.

Quote:
Alot of people believe it is that simple. I am of the thought that if you don't really know, then you don't REALLY know.

I really don't. I have been around addicts all of my life but have never tried drugs myself. I commend you for kicking the habit because none of the people I know/knew were able to. Perhaps watching them spiral out of control is what turned me off of the idea.

Or you don't possess an addictive gene. I really do buy into that thought that it is passed on. My grandmother and my great grandmother were both alcoholics, though it was not recognized in their era. My greatgrandmother used to give me bourbon with our scones and tea at 10 years of age. Another contributing factor was the absence of parents. My dad left when I was 10, my mom worked 3 jobs to feed us and I took care of a 5 year old and a 1 year old, at the age of 10. By the time I was 12 and someone offered me a way out (a joint) I was more than willing. Thing was my search for escape lead to heroin. NOT a good choice folks.

I personally find that death itself is natural, and that it is the circumstances surrounding it and our relation to it that usually means people view different deaths differently, especially when pulling in all species. I didn't know this person (actually, I don't even know of this particular individual), and I think what tends to put me off in the celebrity deaths is that people often talk about celebrities in the same way they would about someone they knew on a personal level, the talk usually is more involved with fame (in some cases, 'talent' is used interchangeably with this word, rather than as a separate word with a different meaning), money, and a person's looks, and that other deaths often go ignored by the same people when the people involved are not on posters. Pop culture is kind of an off-putting thing in general to me, and I'm beginning to appreciate the fact that I seem to not be able to absorb it very well. I just can't personally say if the connection most do feel is genuine concern over drug addiction and other issues, or a projection of preoccupation with fame. That's not meant to be a slight against people here either (Again, I don't know. Could be genuine concern, and regardless, that is a larger cultural issue rather than a criticism of the individual.), just something I do see happen on a broader social level, and in people I know personally. I've seen people I know bawl their eyes out when say, someone like Michael Jackson dies, and demand that everyone else feel sad, but then not blink when people died in, say, a mass explosion. There is casting stones at someone who died, but then there is also casting stones at people who do not feel the same way as another. That's just how situations like this strike me personally.

Edit: On another note, I do think things like this can be very positive, in that they can get people talking about issues such as drug addiction. I think it is great that some people are speaking up about their personal struggles with it, and that at least, this can be a vessel for increasing knowledge and awareness of issues that effect many people.

Last edited:
A rich druggie died they make a fuss a bucha poor ones died across the country the last week or so and no fuss yea that sounds like the drivebys to me I have been through 12 steps twice now once for alchohol once for drugs I have been clean by my will and the grace of G_d, it is hard to feel pity for fools who spit in the face of those trying to help the fool. BTW I have never heard her music.

Last edited:
Quote:

Or you don't possess an addictive gene. I really do buy into that thought that it is passed on. My grandmother and my great grandmother were both alcoholics, though it was not recognized in their era. My greatgrandmother used to give me bourbon with our scones and tea at 10 years of age. Another contributing factor was the absence of parents. My dad left when I was 10, my mom worked 3 jobs to feed us and I took care of a 5 year old and a 1 year old, at the age of 10. By the time I was 12 and someone offered me a way out (a joint) I was more than willing. Thing was my search for escape lead to heroin. NOT a good choice folks.

I agree. i think the gene IS passed on sometimes.
I had a alcoholic grandfather, and uncles..etc... (maternal side)
My father could actually run towards alcoholic.... he had to have his so many beers every night before bed. Although i have only seen him drunk a few times growing up.
and drug addicted cousins and siblings.
Again, its all about CHOICES...

Last edited:
My brother dead from addiction, I am addicted to nothing.

DNA has nothing to do with addiction, a weak mentality does.

Quote:
I have blonde hair, my brothers is red.

Just because you're siblings does not mean your DNA is the same or that you are guaranteed the same traits.

Perhaps week midedness is a genetically passed down trait?

Quote:
I have blonde hair, my brothers is red.

Just because you're siblings does not mean your DNA is the same or that you are guaranteed the same traits.

Perhaps week midedness is a genetically passed down trait?

Sorry one of them" I shoulda known better"
DNA may never have been my issue
Always having been the responsible one-----
-------anger may be!

Back
Top Bottom