Back from the dead

Hanwell Hens

Songster
7 Years
May 5, 2016
Wiltshire UK
Morning all.
We got 6 2 day old Pekin chicks as our poor hen had been sat on 6 eggs for 23 days with no hatching. One looked smaller and not as active. We put them under our hen and all went well. Sadly this morning the runty one was laying on its back, cold, eyes open. Basically dead. I held it in my hand to go and bury it and it moved. I quickly cuddled it and wrapped it in a warm wheat germ bag. To my surprise it is now cheeping and cuddled up in my hand. I have wet some chick crumbs and mashed up shambled egg. How often do I need to feed Button.

Morning all.
We got 6 2 day old Pekin chicks as our poor hen had been sat on 6 eggs for 23 days with no hatching. One looked smaller and not as active. We put them under our hen and all went well. Sadly this morning the runty one was laying on its back, cold, eyes open. Basically dead. I held it in my hand to go and bury it and it moved. I quickly cuddled it and wrapped it in a warm wheat germ bag. To my surprise it is now cheeping and cuddled up in my hand. I have wet some chick crumbs and mashed up shambled egg. How often do I need to feed Button.

As often as it will eat! :D do you have a brooder you can pop it into with a heat source? Sometimes once they’re warmed up they’ll start eating on their own again. Water with electrolytes and/or a vitamin supplement may also be helpful to you. I had a chick do something similar, got itself somehow stuck between the food dish and the wall and was mostly dead when I found it. Warmed it up, and away it went chowing down. Water is important for these littles, definitely make sure you’re getting it to drink. :)

Morning thanks for the advice.
So I put the chick back under mum last night but this morning the minute it started cheeping loudly she started pecking it and not in a nice way. It's so much smaller than the others. We have it back in the house. Can anyone advice me on how to open a very tiny beak to get some food in her. She has had some more sugar water.

Oh, don’t give up! Losses are very hard, but are a part of raising animals, use them as a teaching tool. Try to figure out what went wrong and improve next time.
Oh thank you I definitely needed this I watched most of our chicks die :( so thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom