An"All"prepare guide on Taking care of chicks!

ThePRfan

Songster
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
Ok,i've had plenty of chickens.I have a flock of 22 and i've raised half from either day old chicks or pullets.I know how hard it is when 1 chick cannot finish it's life,well that's why i'm making a guide for "Caring for Chicks"and if needed i'll be glad to make an all how to care for adults.I'll start off by naming a few items:
.A feeder(Normally a small boil or a normal stand up feeder)
.A water container.(A smaller version of the adults 1)
.Straw.(Straw is use for bedding)
.A roost(This is by far very important)
.Medicated chick feed.(Very importanted)
.Probiotics.(Be sure to use halfa packet in the water!)
.Heat lamps(Important for warmth)
.Extra cages(This is important because some may be bullied)
.Finally The chicks(BY FAR IMPORTANT!
ya.gif
)

Be sure to set the feeder/watere on a leveled brick or something.(Chicks are messy little critters!)

Be sure NEVER to use a boil for water.

Try not to hold the chicks.You may give them a disease.

If your wanting to socialize,feed from your hand,and lightly pet them with your finger.

Never introduce to the adults into they are done with chick feed and probiotics.

Be sure to buy at least 10 or 12 chicks.you may lose some.

If having any trouble with the caring,I'm here to help,WE ALL ARE!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the link that TwoCrows left you with. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Ok,i've had plenty of chickens.I have a flock of 22 and i've raised half from either day old chicks or pullets.I know how hard it is when 1 chick cannot finish it's life,well that's why i'm making a guide for "Caring for Chicks"and if needed i'll be glad to make an all how to care for adults.I'll start off by naming a few items:
.A feeder(Normally a small boil or a normal stand up feeder)
.A water container.(A smaller version of the adults 1)
.Straw.(Straw is use for bedding)
.A roost(This is by far very important)
.Medicated chick feed.(Very importanted)
.Probiotics.(Be sure to use halfa packet in  the water!)
.Heat lamps(Important for warmth)
.Extra cages(This is important because some may be bullied)
.Finally The chicks(BY FAR IMPORTANT!:ya )

Be sure to set the feeder/watere on a leveled brick or something.(Chicks are messy little critters!)

Be sure NEVER to use a boil for water.

Try not to hold the chicks.You may give them a disease.

If your wanting to socialize,feed from your hand,and lightly pet them with your finger.

Never introduce to the adults into they are done with chick feed and probiotics.

Be sure to buy at least 10 or 12 chicks.you may lose some.

I'm new at this and my broody hen is starting to hatch eggs. Do I have to "chick" proof my coop. I use chain link fencing in their run. Should I put small chicken wire around it?

I'm new at this. Should I put small size chicken wire around the run which is chain link fence? Or should I just move the mom and the chicks into a brooder box? Or separate the chicks and the mom?

I'm new at this. Should I put small size chicken wire around the run which is chain link fence? Or should I just move the mom and the chicks into a brooder box? Or separate the chicks and the mom?
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Do not separate mom from chicks. You can either move them into a brooder or dog crate or separate them from the rest of the flock with chicken wire.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom