An odd egg.

Highland Moongazer

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Marshall, NC
I noticed while candling today that my barred rock egg is wonky. It wasn't like this a few days ago, and the chick is still actively moving around inside, so it's kind of confusing for me.

Pictures:
img_2270.jpg

The chick will occasionally pull over into the clear area, but how the heck can it be alive and that small when it's day 16? The dark side has thriving veins and such (but I couldn't get a picture that wasn't a complete blob).

A comparable egg, set the same day, and very similar to what this one looked like a 4-5 days ago:
img_2276.jpg

Should I like, do anything with it... or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, you're seeing a death scene. That is what it looks like just before an embryo dies. When you see those, there's simply nothing you can do but wait until it passes to toss it out.

Well, today the Barred Rock finally gave in and died. Fully formed, but the size of a quail hatchling.

Unfortunately, every single one of the 5 other eggs that were in there collapsed like that one, today. Two others have died as well.

I'm wondering if this is because of the exploding egg I had on day two, or the 4 weeping eggs...

Good seller, so I hear, but it seems the eggs have to travel through hell to get here.

Here's hoping the silkies I'm trying next go better!

*goes to sanitize the bator*

Back
Top Bottom