An old Farmer told me this about why I got so many roos this year.....

Quote:
Did a google search on

increase in rabbit population every 7 years

and found the following:

http://www.sjcparks.org/pdffiles/Pre_Visit_Packets/Carrying Capacity.pdf

and

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194098
Scroll down for post from Polydorus

"A number of years ago I read that the Hudson Bay Fur records indicated there was an approximate seven year cycle between rabbit and fox populations. When the fox population peaked the rabbit population was at it lowest point and vice versa. Ah the balance of nature! "

I guess the point is for me and anyone else that has seen an increase in their rabbit population is that when rabbits boon there will be a predator that will also grow and move to reduce rabbit populations to return it to equilibrium. Be that hawks, foxes or coyotes.

Maybe not the scientific journals you are searching for but it is a fact of nature that when one population thrives it will increase other populations until the situation is corrected and the ecosystem becomes in balance at least for a short time. Then the cycle repeats.

So watch out for predators!

Last edited:
Quote:
Probably because the "old-timers" have been around far longer and have much more wisdom than most people these days. There are many things my 80-year-old mother has said that have been true, so why doubt the word of someone who's "been there and done that?"

I've also been seeing more rabbits this year - never saw them much around here before...

I only wonder why we leap to assume that, just because someone is old, they know it all. You see a few rabbits, so you assume this old guy was right all along? Maybe someone killed the local hawks, so more rabbits are around. Or perhaps the neighbor moved and took their cats with them; I don't know.
The point is one doesn't know, in these things, one leaps to a conclusion because of a good story.

There are indeed some well said things from a long time ago - I refer to them all the time when it comes to poultry management. But there are also foolish things.
I've heard oldtimers say that you can dangle a needle by a thread over a chick to determine its sex, too... which is also rubbish. The more lurid the tale, the more we are likely to believe it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In asking my question, I was saying that there is a lot of "wannabe science" that goes around, everyone having their pet theory. Some of it is sound, some based on nothing but lore or manipulation. You should weigh what you hear based on good sense, a bit of understanding and investigation... no matter who says it.

lighten up,,,can't you tell this is toungue in cheek? sheese !!!

We have six rabbits in our yard. They ate all my flowers up at the garden, and there are a few babies too. I told my husband I was gonna shoot 'em. So I have my loaded bbgun on the kitchen counter and ya know what? Them stinkin' rabbits havent showed their faces for 3 days!
barnie.gif

Quote:
Dave, you are such a vent*.... Most people take what pops from oldtimers mouths as an amusing bit of lore, just as we take what you say with a grain of salt...

*vent-duct to remove air, in this case, hot air....

I don't know guys. Both the old farts (I mean that in the most positive way) Davaroo and Opa said you shouldn't listen to old farts. Maybe they are on to something.

Davaroo gave us a clue on how to go through life and he's an old guy? Why not listen to him, too? Why so intent on proving him wrong?

The 7 year cycle is interesting, though.

Davaroo, I've always wondered - are you polishing your bald head with that cat, or doing the tango with it, or what?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom