An old soldier's home

I stole from google:
23878451.jpg

Its pretty awesome! They have a whole plantation (that was actually real and moved to Stone Mountain Park!) set up

The Antebellum Plantation and Farmyard is an open air museum composed of 19 historic buildings, built between 1790 and 1875, which have been re-erected to the site to represent a pre-Civil War Georgia plantation. The historic houses have been furnished with an extensive collection of period furniture and decorations. The farm features live animals that guests can pet.

Scroll down this page and you can see a good many pictures of what they have
http://aprilsplace.xanga.com/708054181/item/

It's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job in restoring it! Imagine how many thousands of dollars to get it up to par and people actually lived in it.

Quote:
Yes I did see that and it was very interesting. However I am concerned about the estate or the property where the house sits on. I hope they will start renovating it soon because you can tell from the pic it is really in poor shape. Many things can be saved but some items can not be replaced. If the state can not afford it, who kicks money in for restoration?

Quote:
Yes I did see that and it was very interesting. However I am concerned about the estate or the property where the house sits on. I hope they will start renovating it soon because you can tell from the pic it is really in poor shape. Many things can be saved but some items can not be replaced. If the state can not afford it, who kicks money in for restoration?

Check my link added to my last post.

Isn't that link last update in 2007????? Sounds like to me that the money or fund for the farm has dried up or no income generated.

If they can do an reenactment on the property, I bet they can generate some money off from the public admission prices, sultery fees and so forth.

I would say the money has dried up or was never there to start with. This is so true with many places here in WV,..historic or not. Im in the southeastern part of the state and there is many places just like that here. It is sad,..but it always is the money. The McCausland home is listed on the historic register and I found an application for it online,..
http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/mason/80004031.pdf
I cannot get it to download for me,..thanks to dial-up
roll.png
,...it is listed as privately owned by a Mr. Smith McCausland. It is a beautiful home,..and I wanted to say thanks for the info on the man and the place. I am a HUGE history buff,especially the Civil War, and love to find new local history.
thumbsup.gif
Also if you really wanted to find out more about the house you could contact the Mason county courthouse and I am sure they probably have a local historical society that could tell you anything you would want to know about it. Also the site, WVGenWeb,..there is contacts listed on there too for Mason county. They are usually very nice people and are eager to help in any way they can. Good luck and thanks for the info!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom