1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ancient breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lukieg, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Lukieg

Lukieg New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    Hello all, I am new to the forum. I have raised different breeds of chickens but I wish to work on some very old breeds.. the foundation breeds. I know Dorkings and Leghorns are very old and were known to the romans, however what other breeds are old? The older the better. Thanks folks.. i appreciate all the useful info the forum provides.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkies are pretty ancient. One of the Romans or Greeks wrote about them, along with it being pretty well known that Marco Polo write about them.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  4. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe the egyptian breeds are pretty old, the Fayoumi and there are a few local breeds. Since they had incubatosr for eggs B.C. I'd assume that they have other breeds that are just as old, but not as widely known. There is also the original ear-tuffed breed that the araucanas were bred from- can't remember the name, but they are from south america.

Some of the fighting cocks are really old since chickens were known for sport in the ancient world and became well know as mc nuggets far later.

5. KazAnder Farms

KazAnder Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Machias, WA
    The Brahmas are among the most ancient, at least according to the standard. Brahma Pootras they were called. Also oddly one of the larger of fowl.

6. stevekwan

stevekwan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana

7. stevekwan

stevekwan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    I believe the tuffed ear chicken you are refering to is the quechua breed

8. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Nankins are old and where the starting breeding for many many modern day bantams.
    They are true bantams.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Asil.

Specifically the Madras Asil. Probably the oldest of all the breeds. Fayoumi, Silkie and Dorking are the other ancients.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by