Ancona Chicken Thread

Pics
That is crazy different. I'll check breast here on our next hatch (Tuesday) to see if there's a patch o our pattern. Our chicks have none of this golden red overlay.
Only the last chick on the photos has no brown/gold and is more yellow. All the others have the typical pattern and colors.

Her ear lobes are pink, especially when compared with my other black pullet (whom I think is a WFBS).

Slate legs with pink/white bottoms and greenish eyes. Though even the Minorcas seem to have dark/black eyes (all of my flock have lighter eyes at the moment aside from my EF, whose eyes are black).

If she isn't a BA that leaves WFBS and Minorca (WFBS being the only one of the three with light eyes but both BM and WFBS have really white earlobes). GAH! lol
Don't know but I did find this picture of a 10 week old Black Minorca. Definitely had the yellow/green eye and looks similar to your bird in question. I don't know if 'off' eye color or 'off' earlobe color would be more likely for a "not SOP" chicken. I guess if she lays white, she is a BM, if brown, a BA
big_smile.png

This is a 10 week old Black Minorca pullett...Talulah

pics124.jpg

Bruce

I enjoy my Anconas. I'm the only person I know who has them in their flock close to me. I like the large white eggs, that they lay year round and they are alert, active chickens. My Anconas chicks out grow and out jump all other breeds I have. Catching one is an exercise in who is quicker me or the chick.

Our Yellow House Farm chicks at 2 weeks old:

They're using the whole brooder now, even the unlit, unheated half. Ambient temp is 65F brooder is 78F-83F.
The brooder is 8' long and they fly from one end of it to the other!
I wish it would warm up a little I'd like to get them out on some grass for a few hours. I THINKING for such young birds it should be at least in the upper 60's?
Their new coop is almost finished (it'll be our "purple" clan coop). It just hasn't been warm enough to paint it yet.

It's an 8' x 12' Woods open-air style coop, the area you see in front will be covered with 1" x 2' square cage wire after the coop is painted. Those are basement hopper windows on the monitor face.
No, the coop will not be painted purple just the door.

Our Yellow House Farm chicks at 2 weeks old: They're using the whole brooder now, even the unlit, unheated half. Ambient temp is 65F brooder is 78F-83F. The brooder is 8' long and they fly from one end of it to the other! I wish it would warm up a little I'd like to get them out on some grass for a few hours. I THINKING for such young birds it should be at least in the upper 60's? Their new coop is almost finished (it'll be our "purple" clan coop). It just hasn't been warm enough to paint it yet. It's an 8' x 12' Woods open-air style coop, the area you see in front will be covered with 1" x 2' square cage wire after the coop is painted. Those are basement hopper windows on the monitor face. No, the coop will not be painted purple just the door.
Awww, why not? I have a bright green coop

Back
Top Bottom