Ancona Duck with yellowing of eyes and bumblefoot

Those are some pretty large, swollen bumbles. If it were my duck I would probably put her on antibiotics (see the link above from Miss Lydia to find out which ones) soak her in epsom salts for 10-15 minutes, and probably alternate afterwards slathering triple antibiotic ointment and silver cream when her feet are wrapped. If a vet is at all possible that would probably be best since they are fairly advanced cases. You can also add some betadine iodine to the soaking water every 3-4 days - just add it until the water looks like ice-tea. Are you able to keep a bandage on? I used a piece of a gauze pad on the bumble, then wrapped with two strips of 1 inch vet wrap. Also, review all your surfaces and make sure there's nothing sharp that can cause cuts - that's when the infection can get in.
I will order the antibiotic bc I don’t think it’ll hurt to at least try it. I’ve been doing soaks everyday with new banadages. First I take the bandages off and let her clean herself in the bath tub, then I soak her feet in epsom salt warm water with a small drop of dawn soap for 10 min, then I let her feet air dry for a minute and spray vet antibiotic spray on them and let it dry, then I use gauze pads slathered in ointment to place over areas and wrap in vet wrap. After this she is places in a large dog kennel for the day bc my other 6 ducks, I fill their swimming pool up. Then when it starts to get dark, I drain the pools and let her out for the night but her feet stayed bandaged always except during treatment. I bought her about a month ago from someone. My other ducks don’t have it. They are on a concrete pad with foam squares over top for softer ground. About 3 weekends ago, I got everything out and scrubbed with dawn soap the concrete, foam, dish containers, etc. In a few weeks when it starts getting cold at night then I’ll add straw to the ground for winter but also all spring and summer and up until now I spray it out every day and it goes into two drains my husband put into the concrete when he built it.

Wow, sounds like you've got a great system going! It's not your fault! If you bought her a month ago I'm sure she came with the infection. Now you just have to do what you can to get rid of it, and it sounds like you are! It can take months sometimes, so don't lose heart - she's lucky to have you.

Update as of tonight… she still has the bumble. The other foot is almost healed but the one bumble that was advanced I took a pic of above a few weeks ago is bigger now. I tried debrieding the scab and no pus or Kernal is coming out. It’s just bleeding. She’s on day 5 out of 7 of baytril… epsom salt soaks every night and fresh bandages. Idk what else to do 😫

Do you have any drawing salve? since you have been working on this for a while maybe after soaks ect you try using a drawing slave then bandage?

Back
Top Bottom