Ancona Duck with yellowing of eyes and bumblefoot

You might use a little Terramycin a couple times a day. My Pekin has had a droopy eyelid on a couple of occasions and I believe it was the start of an infection. I can't remember how long I used the Terramycin, but maybe 4-7 days. It brought the eyelid back to its normal position.
Just 1 drop each eye about twice a day?

It's kind of a gel, so just try to gently smear a little bit on the eyelid twice a day.
Also, should I give her antibiotic for the bumble foot? It’s pretty bad. I tried surgery today and it just bled and I couldn’t get any pus or anything out so I just point Vet spray and ointment on it and wrapped. I’ve never dealt with it this bad. Sorry for all the questions!

Don't apologize, we're all beginners at this at some point, and we all encounter new situations and need the advice of others. I think next time you unwrap your duck's foot you should post pictures. There isn't always a kernel of infection that pops out. Keep your duck out of the water and the foot bandaged for a couple of days. By then it should be scabbed over, so you can give her a good swim and take another look at it. When I have had to cut into my duck's foot, or pull a scab, I've usually filled the hole with antibiotic ointment - just not the kind that has pain reliever, then bandaged. Sounds like you did a good job. It's hard when it's a bad one, but you can do this! They can recover from bad bumblefoot. You might try antibiotics. I know you can order them for fish online, and hopefully someone can recommend something or you can search some threads here that talk about which ones are best.

Don't apologize, we're all beginners at this at some point, and we all encounter new situations and need the advice of others. I think next time you unwrap your duck's foot you should post pictures. There isn't always a kernel of infection that pops out. Keep your duck out of the water and the foot bandaged for a couple of days. By then it should be scabbed over, so you can give her a good swim and take another look at it. When I have had to cut into my duck's foot, or pull a scab, I've usually filled the hole with antibiotic ointment - just not the kind that has pain reliever, then bandaged. Sounds like you did a good job. It's hard when it's a bad one, but you can do this! They can recover from bad bumblefoot. You might try antibiotics. I know you can order them for fish online, and hopefully someone can recommend something or you can search some threads here that talk about which ones are best.
Thank you so much! I will get some pics tomorrow!

Thank you so much! I will get some pics tomorrow!
Here are some pics of her feet.

Attachments

• 33C7D5DF-8A22-4666-B955-CD4D076F58ED.jpeg
    33C7D5DF-8A22-4666-B955-CD4D076F58ED.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DDF06857-19F1-43FA-8FC4-E8C85EC84FF3.jpeg
    DDF06857-19F1-43FA-8FC4-E8C85EC84FF3.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 4
  • 01EA41D6-6AD0-4D74-95A9-DD573FF96579.jpeg
    01EA41D6-6AD0-4D74-95A9-DD573FF96579.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 4
Those are some pretty large, swollen bumbles. If it were my duck I would probably put her on antibiotics (see the link above from Miss Lydia to find out which ones) soak her in epsom salts for 10-15 minutes, and probably alternate afterwards slathering triple antibiotic ointment and silver cream when her feet are wrapped. If a vet is at all possible that would probably be best since they are fairly advanced cases. You can also add some betadine iodine to the soaking water every 3-4 days - just add it until the water looks like ice-tea. Are you able to keep a bandage on? I used a piece of a gauze pad on the bumble, then wrapped with two strips of 1 inch vet wrap. Also, review all your surfaces and make sure there's nothing sharp that can cause cuts - that's when the infection can get in.

Back
Top Bottom