Ancona Ducks

Two of my webs. Waffles (the black) & Biscuits (the lavender).

I have these two ducklings and I don't know if they are Anconas or Magpies. They place I got them did not know the breed. What breed are they? And how do you tell the difference?

Learycow what do you look for in color for the anconas ? I just hatched out three , one is yellow maybe a little brown on his head. will he be all white. the others are yellow and black. Do you want more white then black or more black then white they don't seem to be very popular duck. I think the are very pretty birds.i don't have very good pictures yet.
this is the yellow one I got to see it hatch .
the other two were hatched two day earlier, they are all together now.

Learycow what do you look for in color for the anconas ? I just hatched out three , one is yellow maybe a little brown on his head. will he be all white. the others are yellow and black. Do you want more white then black or more black then white they don't seem to be very popular duck. I think the are very pretty birds.i don't have very good pictures yet.
this is the yellow one I got to see it hatch .
the other two were hatched two day earlier, they are all together now.
You want an even dispersal of smaller size spots all over. The hardest thing to get is the colouring on chest. You don't want large blocks of colour across the back like the Magpie Ducks. They are considered endangered. There are very few large scale breeders.

Thanks Caj1985 I had a hard time getting these eggs. I really prefer getting ducklings I don't want to end up with all boys .which the last batch I got I hen and 3 drakes. one drake a raccoon got him so I have 2 drakes and 1 hen plus the babies it will my luck they all will be boys .I have to decide who will stay and I want good stock .

Learycow what do you look for in color for the anconas ? I just hatched out three , one is yellow maybe a little brown on his head. will he be all white. the others are yellow and black. Do you want more white then black or more black then white they don't seem to be very popular duck. I think the are very pretty birds.i don't have very good pictures yet. this is the yellow one I got to see it hatch . the other two were hatched two day earlier, they are all together now.
What you want is broken, asymmetrical patterns. Roughly 1/3 color and 2/3 white. Foot and Bill spots Chest markings Markings under the eyes NO CRESTS, SOLID WHITES OR TRICOLORS. NO MAGPIE PATTERN (solid back and full cap) There's also a lot size and conformation wise that you want to breed for to keep the uniformity. Feel free to message me if you want to chat! I've been breeding these for a number of years and have my own suggested standard that I breed to since they are not a recognized breed

Learycow I tried to post pictures of the mature ones but I forgot what file they were under but I found them . these guyes and girl are about 8 months old the hen is a good layer.What do you do with the ones you don't want? If I need to get sexed girls were would get them?
these are the drakes . I will have to take better pictures the hen has a lot of white.

What you want is broken, asymmetrical patterns. Roughly 1/3 color and 2/3 white.
Foot and Bill spots
Chest markings
Markings under the eyes
NO CRESTS, SOLID WHITES OR TRICOLORS. NO MAGPIE PATTERN (solid back and full cap)

There's also a lot size and conformation wise that you want to breed for to keep the uniformity. Feel free to message me if you want to chat! I've been breeding these for a number of years and have my own suggested standard that I breed to since they are not a recognized breed

Much better description of the spotting than mine. Really like that phrasing.

Back
Top Bottom