Ancona Ducks

Pics
I think the taste probably does depend on the feed, but we have many egg customers who LOVE our duck eggs. Several were previously very strict chicken-only eggs. We "converted" them, LOL. They are amazing for baking moist, fluffy thing (think brownies and cakes, yum!) Our birds are free-ranged on two acres and supplemented with pelleted layer feed and fodder in the winter. Their taste is richer, but I wouldn't call it gamey. If you are used to eating pastured chicken eggs, pastured duck eggs won't be as different in flavorful as if you're used to eating store-bought plain chicken eggs.

Last edited:
I think the taste probably does depend on the feed, but we have many egg customers who LOVE our duck eggs. Several were previously very strict chicken-only eggs. We "converted" them, LOL. They are amazing for baking moist, fluffy thing (think brownies and cakes, yum!) Our birds are free-ranged on two acres and supplemented with pelleted layer feed and fodder in the winter. Their taste is richer, but I wouldn't call it gamey. If you are used to eating pastured chicken eggs, pastured duck eggs won't be as different in flavorful as if you're used to eating store-bought plain chicken eggs.
thumbsup.gif

I think eggs can taste "fishy" if they've been getting feed with fish meal (like Mazuri waterfowl).

Any eggs I don't sell or hatch, I feed to my dogs (they don't care about fishy taste!) or I use them for baking and don't notice any off flavor.

Look what keeps coming out of the incubator! So far there are eight, but there are a few more pips. I suspect that peek-a-boo duckling is a Swedish cross.

Does anyone know what color this one is? I'm thinking Lavender/ Lilac.

I have ducklings!
wee.gif

Look what keeps coming out of the incubator! So far there are eight, but there are a few more pips. I suspect that peek-a-boo duckling is a Swedish cross.

Does anyone know what color this one is? I'm thinking Lavender/ Lilac.

I have ducklings!
wee.gif
awwwww congrats!! I am thinking about finding some eggs or ducklings now that they are headed out of the house LOL

One of my Buff Orpington hens has been broody since right after Thanksgiving, so I gave her some of my Ancona eggs. This is the first time I've allowed a broody to hatch out eggs.

She hatched out one little boy yesterday.

He's a cutie! Unfortunately he doesn't have any color on his chest (one of my major breeding goals for this year), so he will find a new home when he grows up.

One of my Buff Orpington hens has been broody since right after Thanksgiving, so I gave her some of my Ancona eggs. This is the first time I've allowed a broody to hatch out eggs.

He's a cutie! Unfortunately he doesn't have any color on his chest (one of my major breeding goals for this year), so he will find a new home when he grows up
awwww congrats! isnt it amazing that duck eggs take longer incubation and those broodys just know what to do and when!!!

He's a cutie! Unfortunately he doesn't have any color on his chest (one of my major breeding goals for this year), so he will find a new home when he grows up.
That is too bad, because he is a cutie!

Back
Top Bottom