Ancona Ducks

Open question how big do everybody's eggs get I have been getting two eggs every few days from about a month or so but they are the size of bantam eggs Is that normal? 

Mine are about the size of the large chicken eggs you get at the store. We only have one female and all her eggs have been that size. It is normal for the eggs to be smaller at first then start getting bigger as time goes on

I love my ducks! They are such funny animals.

Anyone have dogs that get along with their ducks? Wondering what breeds might be ok in the back yard with my small flock (5).

Anyone have dogs that get along with their ducks?  Wondering what breeds might be ok in the back yard with my small flock (5). 

Every dog is diferent. The key is finding a puppy to raise with your birds & train them how to act around the birds from day 1. Most dogs will take lots of interaction with you & the birds to learn the rules. Be prepared to rehome a dog & start over if their personality is just not compatible with the birds.

I agree, all dogs are different and the personality can be different. We have a lab/ border collie and who knows what else pound puppy. She has always been sweet and protective of anything smaller then her. When we got our cat she fit in one hand and Ruby would always make sure she was safe. So I had no worries when we got ducklings. She wanted to be the mommy and when we took them outside (I was sitting with them of course) if one started to waddle away she would herd it back and give them baths and she wouldn't let the cat by them. She still lays and whimpers and if the ducks get close tries to lick them, but they don't want to get very close now that they are older. Poor Ruby. But she still has the cat to play with.

Open question how big do everybody's eggs get I have been getting two eggs every few days from about a month or so but they are the size of bantam eggs Is that normal? 
my young layers start out with medium size eggs and they grow to large and extra large eggs over a month or so.

Last edited:
well funny thing after I posted that they both stopped laying all together do they not lay in the winter? I only have two hens
they're just like chickens, they work of the #of daylight hours there is. The days have gotten shorter and that slows or stops the laying cycle. If you add light to their pen then you may get them to start laying again but there is long term consequences such as shorter laying lifespan due to being forced to lay.

Back
Top Bottom