And here we go again (hopefully this time it's better)... My third chicken coop 3D design

antonio978

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

Few days ago I posted one of my chicken coop designs. You can see the post here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/909972/this-is-the-coop-im-designing-let-me-know-what-you-think

My father has 4 chickens and we want to build a comfortable home for them. @iwiw60 and @6of6chicks made some basic observations that I understood that I had to read more about the design and functionality of a chicken coop. Hopefully this time I designed something a bit "better".

The coop is 24 sq feet. I added vents, windows, poop board, pop door, two bigger doors and two nest boxes. Here are the images. Please let me know what you think. Don't be afraid to critique
big_smile.png
If you need more images or other views angles let me know.

Here you can see the front two doors. I added for future cleaning of the coop. Also see one of two the vents.

In the next image you can see the windows. They are located behind the roost. I was thinking to place them on the sides (below the vents) instead of the back. I believe the chickens can make a disaster if I leave them where they are now
sad.png

In the next image is a view without doors so that you can see the set up a bit better. Here you can see the root pole and poop board.

Side view and dimensions of the poop board and roosting pole.

Another view without walls...

View from top without roof.

Thanks for the help
thumbsup.gif

I looked at your earlier design, and I'd say this one is an improvement on that. Sizewise, with either the possibility freerange all the time, or a large run, I think you could keep up to 6 chickens in that. If I remembered correctly, you live in a very warm climate, so I would think about making one of the walls out of hardware cloth to ensure loads of ventilation.

I looked at your earlier design, and I'd say this one is an improvement on that. Sizewise, with either the possibility freerange all the time, or a large run, I think you could keep up to 6 chickens in that. If I remembered correctly, you live in a very warm climate, so I would think about making one of the walls out of hardware cloth to ensure loads of ventilation.
Hey @vehve thanks for the reply. Yes, we live in Venezuela. I'll probably make one of the walls out of hardware cloth. Also I'll make about 60' of run. Thanks again for the advice.

I think some people in really warm climates don't even bother with building a solid coop. If it doesn't get too cold, and you don't have other elements of weather that require it, you might even just build a humongous run, and maybe at the end cover a roosting area a bit. That way you could use part of your coop budget to building an even bigger run. But someone with experience from your kind of climate could be better at giving advice on this - I live in the country of reindeer and Santa Claus.

Back
Top Bottom