And THAT'S how we take care of business in Mississippi!

Quote:
Well, not to hijack the thread but here's how I do it....

As soon as it's dead, skin and clean it, wash it VERY GOOD under running water and put in the fridge to rest at least 24 hours. I can't stress enough that the quicker you get it cleaned and cooled down, the better it will taste. I personally like a little "wild" taste, but if you don't, then soak in a saltwater bath while it's resting then be sure and rinse well before cooking.

For fried critter cut up like you would a chicken, and bread it. (I use a beaten egg and pull it through that then roll it in flour) Cook just like fried chicken.

For older critters that would be too tough, cut up, then using a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat try to roll it and brown on all sides, put in a pressure cooker for about an hour to tenderise then transfer to a big dutch oven. Surround it with peeled whole sweet taters then chop a couple of large onions, a few peppers if ya got 'em and pour over the top. Throw in either a pat of homeade butter or a couple of sticks of margerine for some cooking juice. Add a jar of chopped tomatoes and english peas if you like them. Salt and black pepper to taste. Cover, add coals to the top of the dutch oven and let cook for around two hours outside in the fire-pit. It's a meal in a single dutch oven. Yummy!

I say "critter" because I use this same recipe on coons, possums, ground hogs, rabbits, squirrels, chickens, or anything else we find roaming around these hills. If you are pretty good with a dutch oven you can skip the whole pressue cooking part and just cook longer (4 to 6 hours) and it'll be just as tender too.

Now you city folk can look down your noses.... but it tastes purty darn good! Been eatting it like that since I was knee high to a grasshopper. We'd put one in the fire when we would head to the fields and it would be steaming and ready when we'd get home that evening. Add some big old homeade cathead biscuits and iced sweet tea and there just ain't much better eattin' for a country boy.

Yum Yum
droolin.gif
thumbsup.gif

I have a "possum in a half shell" (armadillo) hanging around the house lately. Tearing up the yard. Thank goodness the coop and run is very secure with hardware cloth on top of a woven "dog wire". I hope to get a chance for some target practice soon, lol.

Back
Top Bottom