And the roof caved in......

dragonlair

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Maine
We have had some serious snow this year, and last nights snow and rain added to the mess. The snow is hip deep in most places in my yard. The chicken area's are way below "snow level" as I had no place to throw the snow after i totally dug them out, so I just dug out the gates and a pathway from one pen to the others.

I couldn't get all the snow off the roofs, but I did the best I could and added extra supports. So far so good, Until last night.

I got up around 0100 to do night chores (winter thing, I feed the horses, dogs and goats small amounts during the night for warmth.) and it was RAINING! Raining on top of the 3 inches of snow we had yesterday evening, and the 4 feet of snow we had from other storms. When I checked the chicken pens I saw the roof was mostly inside the layers area, with 6 feet of snow filling most of it. I ran in, panicked that my girls were buried beneath the avalanche, but found them cramped, but safe and dry, on their roost in the corner.

So, for right now I am going to have to do some birdie moving. The bantams will be evicted from their pen and moved to the summer chick nursery. I dug it out and sort of weather proofed it for them. The layers will go in the bantam pen, which used to be theirs anyway. I'll wait until tonight when everyone goes to roost, and I can start trying to rehabilitate the layers home over the next week.

Hurry up spring!

Whew! Glad your birds were ok, but sorry about the cave in. What a pain to have to fix. I am a little worried about the same thing myself, since I really didn't construct the run roof to withstand the kind of snow we've gotten here in Dallas in the last few days. I was lucky in that the snow wasn't wet or particularly heavy, but I have some roof reinforcements ahead of me this spring, too.

WOW!! Glad their all alright!! That's some serious snow!!
ep.gif

I am glad I had some reinforcements done when the wind took the run roof off in December. I have a pretty good slope on most of mine, some slope on all of it. But the wind nearly took my shed roof. Glad your lady-birds are ok!

Gypsi

If I remember 1 cubic foot of wet snow weighs approx 10 pounds.

We get the same conditions here as the OP. Snow then rain, heavy stuff, it can snap huge trees.

Wowzer, I too am happy the chickens are fine

Man, this snow can truly suck

I worry about this, that's why I keep thinking coops on carts for me, heavy winter I can move them close to the house or in the garage..

You just helped me make up mind even more

Sorry again you have to deal with all this

Back
Top Bottom