Igloo doghouse to get out of the elements?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Working on getting our setup together for our first flock. We have 6 chicks in the brooder and will be setting up a very secure 8x8 pen with a coop attached. The coop is definitely on the smaller side. Perfectly fine for roosting and laying but I don’t think I could expect them to hide out during the day if the weather is bad. I’m in north Florida so no snow but we do get windy storms and it does get close to freezing on winter mornings. I’m thinking about adding something like an igloo dog house in the run for added hangout space. Has anyone done this? Are there better ideas? What do chickens do when it’s raining/windy etc?

Your better alternative would be to roof over one end of your run. our chickens are unlikely to use the Igloo for the purpose of shelter, but they would move to the covered end of the run if it should rain. If you put up a solid panel at this covered end to protect from the prevailing wind, it would serve the chickens better than an Igloo.

Forget messing with a tiny coop and just build an open air covered coop.

This!

A chicken in the Steamy Southeast of the US requires very little shelter.

Put a roof on part of the run, maybe add a wind panel on the side where storms usually come from and you're golden.

I had birds in Camp Cockerel almost all winter here in North Carolina. :)

Working on getting our setup together for our first flock. We have 6 chicks in the brooder and will be setting up a very secure 8x8 pen with a coop attached. The coop is definitely on the smaller side. Perfectly fine for roosting and laying but I don’t think I could expect them to hide out during the day if the weather is bad. I’m in north Florida so no snow but we do get windy storms and it does get close to freezing on winter mornings. I’m thinking about adding something like an igloo dog house in the run for added hangout space. Has anyone done this? Are there better ideas? What do chickens do when it’s raining/windy etc?
Is the igloo bigger than the coop?

You've had good advice.

Back
Top Bottom