And then there was one.....

maizy'smom

Songster
May 15, 2011
Philadelphia suburbs
Yesterday, the hawk that killed my BLRW on Dec. 5th returned...and killed my BO. Which means my JG, Agnes, is now an only child. My question to you folks today is two-fold:

First: Has anyone had any success with a deer-type mesh, batting cage kind of enclosure? If so, how hefty a mesh is required? Will airplane cable be strong enough to support it? Will a soft mesh of any type be strong enough to keep out a juvenile red-tailed hawk out? I am certain that any scare-crow type device won't work....he sat within five yards of me this morning and was unfazed by three rounds of pine cones and ginkgo bombs being lobbed at him by my husband and I. If two live, screaming, flailing people didn't deter him, no stuffed cut-out will.

Second: How do I keep my lone, lonely, lovely Agnes entertained until the spring? I have a new batch of chicks coming May 1st.

As always, thank you all, for all and any wisdom you can offer.

mm

Chickens are very social so the only thing i can think of is for you to spend as much time as you can with her the other problem is who she going to cuddle with to stay warm.

Yesterday, the hawk that killed my BLRW on Dec. 5th returned...and killed my BO. Which means my JG, Agnes, is now an only child. My question to you folks today is two-fold:

First: Has anyone had any success with a deer-type mesh, batting cage kind of enclosure? If so, how hefty a mesh is required? Will airplane cable be strong enough to support it? Will a soft mesh of any type be strong enough to keep out a juvenile red-tailed hawk out? I am certain that any scare-crow type device won't work....he sat within five yards of me this morning and was unfazed by three rounds of pine cones and ginkgo bombs being lobbed at him by my husband and I. If two live, screaming, flailing people didn't deter him, no stuffed cut-out will.

Second: How do I keep my lone, lonely, lovely Agnes entertained until the spring? I have a new batch of chicks coming May 1st.

As always, thank you all, for all and any wisdom you can offer.

mm

How old is your last bird? I would do a search at the top of this page on your state thread, and check to see if anyone has 1 or 2 extra pullets they don't want to overwinter. Most people who raise chicks will have extras in the fall, and if they are like me, would gladly give you one or two. I would keep Agnes locked up in the coop and run for protection.

That's it exactly. Agnes is very social...of my original five girls, she has always been the most engaging. Not cuddly so much as demanding. She has always been the spokes-person for the group, the social director, the bossy one. We've been thinking of getting her a mirror, like a parakeet...and putting a stool in the run so we can go sit with her and "talk" together. At the moment, she's not very interested in go out right now any way. As for warmth, we have a light-bulb-in-a-cinder-block-water-heater set up, that we plug in when the temps drop below freezing. Next, we'll need to make her some toys or treats to keep her entertained.

How old is your last bird? I would do a search at the top of this page on your state thread, and check to see if anyone has 1 or 2 extra pullets they don't want to overwinter. Most people who raise chicks will have extras in the fall, and if they are like me, would gladly give you one or two. I would keep Agnes locked up in the coop and run for protection.
All of my girls were "born" in May, 2011, so Agnes is about four and a half. We do have the three new chicks on order for this coming May, and our coop is really built for about four standard sized hens. I'm torn at the moment between the ultimate capacity of the coop, and Agnes being an only "child" until some time into July, when the peeps are old (and big) enough to move in together. The other thing is that Agnes knows "the rules" and routines of our daily lives...she knows the yard for free ranging...she comes when I call her into the coop (or rather, she is bribe-able, with a few meal worms) on those occasions when we need to close the coop up early so we can go out, and like that. New pullets wouldn't be as accommodating, I wouldn't think?

Do you suppose a duck or goose would mind house sharing with a rather opinionated spinster hen? My daughter thinks, maybe a bunny.....so many ideas swirling around in my mind.....such a puzzle.

mm

You can think about it and try your state threads. Do any of your friends or family know anyone with chickens? I would be afraid to mix species with just a single chicken in case she would get picked on. One other adult chicken might fit with the new chicks next year. I'm sure that it will work out whatever you decide.

All good things to consider.....a lot depends, too, on how quickly we can construct the proposed "batting cage" structure. I think adding anybody new and keeping them cooped up would be asking for a different kind of problem. Argh! Decisions!

mm

Back
Top Bottom