And yet another one!! Rooster Ranch?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My husband and I are night people, so we're usually up no earlier than 10 or 11 AM. The only exception to that is when DH has an early doctors appointment, like he did today.
    When I got up this morning @ 7 AM I went out first thing to check on the chickens. My adult rooster was crowing. Then the two cockerels (a turken & a cornish X) would crow, then.....yep, the silkie cockerel is crowing now too. [​IMG] This went on for a solid hour!
    So now we have a fine "cocka-doodle-do" from my brahma, a pitiful "eer-er" from the turken, a deep "cocka-doodle (minus the do)" from the CX, and a tiny little "er-er" from the silkie.
    Since the juveniles are currently housed just outside the bedroom window, I practically had to shout to make myself heard, speaking to my DH.
    I told him that anyone driving up, that didn't know better, would think we were running a freakin' rooster ranch! [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Isn't it interesting how they all sound different? I have two young mutts now and I can tell which is crowing by the sound. And their song can change. After my previous, former, not now with us rooster attacked a visitor, he went from singing "cock-a-doodle-doo" to "Coq-a-Vin soon".

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Oh I suppose it would be rough, but I am a tad bit jealous. I love the sound and my bf and I want a rooster so badly. Too bad, not allowed [​IMG] someday....

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It's not so rough. When I was outside this morning I actually was laughing so hard! I only had the one roo for so long, adding the new ones has been interesting.
    I feel for you, not being able to have a roo. Roosters complete a flock in a way that's hard to describe, but really nice to watch.

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have 5 roosters and never even noticed i liked the cockadoodle doos.. i went away for a week and heard a roo in the distance and i instantly felt a pang of homesickness for my roos. could hardly wait to get home to the gang. we now have 30 chickens and 5 roos..

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG]

8. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by