Anemia? Can I Use Iron to Treat Anemia from a mite issue?

Cole Campbell

Chirping
Aug 22, 2019
Hello!
We had a severe mite infection in our coop, which have been treated and taken care of with some poultry dust and pyrethrum. However, the mites hit our young ones HARD. We have lost three so far, and several others are struggling. They’ve been getting antibiotics (they had a respiratory issue going around before the mites), vitamins in the water, everything got cleaned out and some are doing better. However, the ones that are still struggling seem to be suffering from severe anemia. Pale, almost white combs, they are very lethargic, still sneezing some and have gunky eyes. I’m still giving them antibiotics to try and get rid of the infection but I think the mites have done them in. I picked up some Anem-X 100 (iron hydrogenated dextran) injectable, and on label it mentions chickens, but no dosage. Is it safe to treat chickens with anemia with this? What dosage? Thanks

Poultry do not handle high doses of iron. A better and safer source, and more agreeable in every way to chickens, is raw liver and veggies high in iron. They will eat what they need to bring up their iron levels.

Back
Top Bottom