Angel Food Cake in the oven

You are pure evil!
lau.gif

Quote:
It was really easy, Sara. Easier than I thought. And a good way to use up excess eggs.

Can you post the recipe. I have no idea where the book to my mixer is. My DH would be so happy
smile.png

Last edited:
I tried the Walkingonsunshine recipe last night. It was very yummy, but a bit flat. Any idea what I could have done wrong? It was denser than an Angel Food cake should have been.

Quote:
It was really easy, Sara. Easier than I thought. And a good way to use up excess eggs.

Can you post the recipe. I have no idea where the book to my mixer is. My DH would be so happy
smile.png

Here you go!
Angel Food Cake (lifted from the Kitchen Aid Bowl Lift Stand Mixer Instructions and Recipes book)

1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 1/2 c egg whites
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla or 1/4 tsp almond extract

Mix flour and 1/2 cup sugar in bowl

Place eggwhites in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Gradually turn to speed 6 and whip 30 to 60 seconds or until egg whites are frothy.

Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla. Turn to speed 8 and whip 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until whites are almost stiff but not dry. Turn to speed 2. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar and mix about 1 minute. Stop and scrape bowl.

Remove bowl from mixer. Spoon flour-sugar mixture, one-fourth at a time over egg whites. Fold in gently with spatula just until blended.

Pour batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan. WIth knife, gently cut throught he batter to remove large air bubbles.

Bake at 375 F for 35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cracks are very dry.

Immediately invert cake onto funnel or sot drink bottle. Cool completely.

Remove from pan.

Yield 16 servings.

Per serving: about 124 calories, 4 g protein, 27 g carb, 0 g fat, 0 mg chol, 79 mg sod.

I have a very old recipe of my mom's that you use as a topping for angel food, with crushed pineapple, marshmallows, whipped cream. It is to die for. Just ask and I will dig it out and give it to you all!!!

When I was a child my Mom always made angelfood cake from a box mix. I never really liked it but couldn't hurt Mom's feelings, especially when she made one for every special occasion.

Then I made one from scratch. Oh my gosh, it was wonderful. I was telling my parents how wonderful a from scratch angelfood was and my Dad said, "Great! Let's have a cookoff. I'll judge."

My Dad absolutely loves sweets and my Mom couldn't believe that anything was better than her angelfood cake. In a blind taste test, my cake won. Hands down!

Scratch is better by far!!

Michele.

smile.png
One of my favorite things to do to an angel food cake is:
Bake it in the funnel pan,
Invert it....
When completely cooled, you slice about an inch off the top (turned over of course (narrow topside)
Lay the top on a plate till you need it,
Cut a tunnel out of the base.
line it with whipping cream (cool whip works best so it doesn't soak through as fast) leaving a trench.
Fill the trench with sliced strawberries.
Put the top back on and spread whipping cream on top, drizzling strawberries and juice on top.
It is SO pretty and YUMMY too!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom