Angry Egg Laying - Now With 200% More Broody!

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
So when two chickens want to lay in the same nest box, what is the logical solution? Wait 'til the other is done? Grumpily use another box? Peck the other until she hurries up and lays her egg?

Seems one of these hens came to the conclusion that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Yep, two chickens smooshed into one box. Thankfully they are both small, since even large fowl Araucanas aren't fat like a marans or an australorp (I can hear them yelling "I'm not fat I'm FLUFFY!). And they were miffed that I was so amused at their situation!

How I first found them
NestHogs001.jpg

After I finishing laughing, they repositioned themselves (lots of angry squawking involved)
NestHogs015.jpg

"Go away lady or I'll peck your eyes out."
NestHogs013.jpg

If looks could kill, I'd be deaded a million times over.
NestHogs014.jpg

Last edited:
I've caught my Silkies doing this because two have been "playing" with going broody. I don't think they are fully committed to raising peeps just yet though....
roll.png
lol.png

ladychicken&Ducklover :

HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW YOOPER !

How are YOUR birds doing during our BLIZZARD we are having til 7 PM TOMORROW evening ???
barnie.gif

Mine LOVE this horrible white stuff and 45 MPH winds !!
sickbyc.gif

Happy New Year to you, too!

Actually, the blizzard has been kind to us near Escanaba, thus far. Bonus of being in the 'banana belt' of da UP. Only about an inch of snow fell this morning, and hasn't been windy at all.​

Quote:
Happy New Year to you, too!

Actually, the blizzard has been kind to us near Escanaba, thus far. Bonus of being in the 'banana belt' of da UP. Only about an inch of snow fell this morning, and hasn't been windy at all.

Im in Ishpeming, the " Snow Belt" , and it lets up, then starts back up relentlessly, but , it can only get better, but until then, Ill be Plowing, shoveling around the pens, and freezing. Im shoveling the snow up against the coops for insulation, especially since once these Lake Effect snows pass, we are looking at -15 wind chills. Brrrrrr.
duc.gif

I see you have turkeys.

What kind ?

Ive been looking to get turkeys, but Im having a hard time.

Im hoping to get Royal Palms.

DD

Hopefully the weather starts to give you a break soon, oye!

I have two beltsville white turkeys and a blue slate. They're definitely a hoot! I got them as hatching eggs, one set from a guy down in WI when I was visiting Milwaukee and another from eBay. I like hatching, and at least with hatching eggs, there aren't shipping chick/poult tragedies.

So it looks like that brown girl has GONE BROODY! What a stinker! She only just started laying! So I went ahead and gave the nest boxes a thorough cleaning (since they'll still occasionally try and sleep in them). She was MOST displeased!

Before cleaning "Touch me, I dare you!"
77322_broody_087.jpg

Quite a bit of pecking later, I finished the cleaning and gave her back her wooden egg babies.
77322_broody_098.jpg

77322_broody_099.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom