angry female

squeak1387

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
bronson, fl
I have a pair in a cage by themselves, just today I realized that my female is picking on the male. Do tehy need to be seperated? Or is this just normal? Earlier this year I had 2 males in with her and she beat up one of the males so bad he was bleedingand had all the feathers pulled out of the back of his neck. I thougt that was odd to but I have never put him back. She never had a problem with the other male untill now. Any advice or reasons this may be happening?

i had a hen do that many years ago so we burnt the tip of her beak not sore to them in anyway but i would sugest if u arnt sure how to do that get an expert of a vet or some1 1 good luck!

Quote:
to be honest, i'm not sure. I do have pics though.

91919_img_20110517_153510.jpg
this is my female

91919_365.jpg
i have 2 males exactly the same as this one

You have coturnix quail. I had a female go NUTS and beat up the other 3 quail in her group. 2 females and one male. Turned out she had gone broody and decided that nobody was going to mess with her or her eggs. I doubt that is the case for you, but plants and baskets the other quail can hide in, a good dust bathing area for distraction, or more room might chill her out. What protein percentage is your feed? Sometimes cannibalism can happen if the protein percentage is too low.

Are you 100% sure that your hen is not a roo? If you have'nt had a egg in your pen, I would have to wonder if you have a hen at all... You know a roo, will roo, a roo too...
lau.gif
Bill

Quote:
I am sure she is a female quail. I get eggs from her every day

I had a hen that had trouble getting along with her pen mates too. Just woke up one morning and hated everyone else in the pen. I pulled the scalped ones out to heal and she would find a new target. Put the healed one back in and she would be right back it. I eventually ate that fine young hen..... Bill

Back
Top Bottom