Animal Hoarding ((alert))

Smittenroade

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
North East Texas
"People who hoard animals (chickens) are not able to stop their behavior, just as a drug addict cannot stop doing drugs. It often starts with the person feeling sorry for unwanted animals (chickens) and wanting to take them in and give them a home. One by one the animals (chickens) are brought in and fed, and pretty soon the animals (chickens) are too numerous to be taken care of properly. The hoarder will continue to bring in more animals (chickens), not seeing the danger of it or the problems it is causing. The person will become overwhelmed with all the animals (chickens), but will not do anything about it because they believe they are still helping, and because now it is an addiction."

Well......at BYC we call that "Chicken Math". lmao

But on a serious note, hoarding can become a problem. Learn more at the link below.

http://canada.myletsadopt.com/2011/...rwhelmed-animal-lover-what-is-the-difference/

nevermind my other posting was taken wrong. so I am just deleting it. I think hoarding is used loosely most of the time since the tv shows came out. pretty soon they will be calling ranchers hoarders because they have over 1000 head of cattle.

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt to bring up the topic.

That link you posted does specify that if you have the resources, time and space to care for the animals then that isn't necessarily hoarding. But if a person is feeling overwhelmed by the demands of caring for the animals it may be helpful to consider the line between rescuing or collecting animal and hoarding.

In typical Big Brother style here in Illinois, there is a house bill in the works to make having seven or more animals as the key part in the definition of an animal hoarder. Of course even if you don't meet the other vague criteria for a 'hoarder' you'll still have to apply and pay for a permit to have seven or more companion animals.

"Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Humane Care for Animals Act. Provides that the definition of a "companion animal hoarder" means a person who is in possession of 7 or more companion animals in addition to other requirements. Amends the Animal Control Act. Provides that a person must obtain a permit from the Board to possess 7 or more companion animals. Provides that a failure to receive a permit for the possession of 7 or more companion animals is a violation and a person is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor and a second or subsequent violation is a Class 4 felony with every day that a violation continues constituting a separate offense."

Last edited:
I am not hoarding; I am herding, just as the shepherd will herd his animals.
tongue.png

Hoarding has always interested me. Since I work work with animals, I've seen all forms of hoarding. At one time I had 14 breeding dogs. Was I a hoarder? Nope, because I was able to sell the pups, the dogs were kept in immaculate condition, and I bred one litter a year. I'll admit they were not pampered house pets, but their kennels were large, clean, and had an acre yard gave them plenty of room to run. Customers always commented on the lack of smell.

I had chickens at that time-probably 100. Was I hoarding them? Nope. I sold them to fellow chicken folks. Again customers commented on how clean the chicken area was. Wasn't fancy mind you, but clean and kept the chickens safe.

People who hoard develop an emotional attachment that is unbreakable with an object whether the object be living or inanimate. They truly love the item and will store it so it can be easily found. They don't see the mess, smell the odor, or think they are being cruel in any way. Kinda reminds me of the 80 lb anorexic who insists she is fat.

Hoarding is a form of OCD that is difficult to treat. Just going in and tossing out the junk or removing the animals may result in a psychotic break of the hoarder. Some may become so depressed they may try to take their own life as these items somehow represent a piece of their life.

Hoarding can effect all kinds of people, and they should always be treated with compassion. True hoarding is the result of a traumatic event in the person's life-usually the loss of a loved one. They try to regain stability in their lives by surrounding themselves with lots of things. They are lonely, live isolated lives, and depend on their clutter to give them comfort. Truly a sad state to be in.

I was watching Animal Hoarders and the one girl had 7 cats living with her. Her place was filthy and she could not properly care for them. I looked at my mom and said, "uh oh...we've got 9." I know in no way are we hoarders, but it was interesting so see that she was considered and animal hoarder. Now, our vet classified us as one because we refused to take all 9 of our cats in and get them tested for Feline Leukemia ($50 for test, and $50 for shot). They all get their rabies and basic shots, go in when sick, and we have spent $400 on one when she got her foot caught in a trap and another $500 when one was attacked by a raccoon. However, the vet looked straight at us and told us that we should re-home if we cannot afford to take care of them. Needles to say, the cats and dogs now get taken to clinics unless they are truly sick.

Last edited:
Quote:
Would you clarify that bolded statement, please? It makes no sense as written. Thanks.

ETA, I mean what happens if they are truly sick?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom