Animal relocation.

I'm glad I know someone that is a legal wildlife trapper. He has his own land that he recently purchased to turn into a sanctuary. I have not called him yet about my raccoon problem but I know he is part of the plan if needed.

I'm amazed that you have a raccoon problem with seven large dogs on the property. I only have one dog and any raccoon that dares to set foot around here gets a lesson he won't soon forget. The dog and I go out every night with a high powered flashlight and make our rounds. If we happen to shine on some beady eyes in the darkness, she's on it. It's her absolute favorite thing to do!

This routine tends to make my property inhospitable to predators, After their first encounter, whenever they see that light they head for the hills and most often, before long, we don't see them at all. No doubt they are still nosing around sometimes in the wee hours, but that's okay because everyone's locked up tight.

I hope your trapper friend has a massive piece of property as each animal is going to stake out at bare minimum 20+ acres as their territory.

We have a pair of foxes that have been living here for the past few years and any new fox that tries to encroach upon their territory gets a serious, merciless beat down.

I'm amazed that you have a raccoon problem with seven large dogs on the property. I only have one dog and any raccoon that dares to set foot around here gets a lesson he won't soon forget. The dog and I go out every night with a high powered flashlight and make our rounds. If we happen to shine on some beady eyes in the darkness, she's on it. It's her absolute favorite thing to do!

This routine tends to make my property inhospitable to predators, After their first encounter, whenever they see that light they head for the hills and most often, before long, we don't see them at all. No doubt they are still nosing around sometimes in the wee hours, but that's okay because everyone's locked up tight.

I hope your trapper friend has a massive piece of property as each animal is going to stake out at bare minimum 20+ acres as their territory.

We have a pair of foxes that have been living here for the past few years and any new fox that tries to encroach upon their territory gets a serious, merciless beat down.

I use my dogs as deterrents. I would never allow them to go after a raccoon. I would not put them in that position. We don't have a routine and I feel this is keeping them on the other side if the fence. Sometimes I'm out there at 10, sometimes at Midnite, and we might even go outside at 3 am.

This dog is fighting for its life due to a raccoon Attack and as you can see its not a small dog.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I use my dogs as deterrents. I would never allow them to go after a raccoon. I would not put them in that position. We don't have a routine and I feel this is keeping them on the other side if the fence. Sometimes I'm out there at 10, sometimes at Midnite, and we might even go outside at 3 am.

This dog is fighting for its life due to a raccoon Attack and as you can see its not a small dog.

View attachment 1512679

View attachment 1512680
I believe he was fighting with the wrong end of himself. Most dogs can make short work of a raccoon.

View attachment 1512679

View attachment 1512680

Oh my, poor dog. Looks like he went to investigate, then changed his mind, and got flanked, based on the location of the wounds. So much depends on the skill of the dog in dealing with critters. My girl knows how to handle things, in seven years she's never been injured. I can always call her off if the situation looks dangerous.
I didn't mean that you should send your dogs after the raccoons. I was just amazed that raccoons would brave going into a yard full of large dogs, but if you call the dogs inside when they are around that explains it. Do you live in the suburbs? Sounds like your raccoons are well habituated to dogs and people. The ones around here hightail it when they see the dog coming.

Most dogs go for a bite on the rib cage, crushing the heart and lungs, while preventing retaliatory bites by shaking the raccoon to disorient it. Some go for a neck or a head bite, very effective, but seems to be a learned response that only comes with lots of experience. Looks like this poor guy tried a different strategy, possibly his intent was to let the raccoon eat him, in the hopes that it would get sick, or maybe he could choke it with himself. Maybe his plan was to get on the inside and then attack from within, kind of like the Trojans. It does not seem that his plan worked.

Most dogs go for a bite on the rib cage, crushing the heart and lungs, while preventing retaliatory bites by shaking the raccoon to disorient it. Some go for a neck or a head bite, very effective, but seems to be a learned response that only comes with lots of experience. Looks like this poor guy tried a different strategy, possibly his intent was to let the raccoon eat him, in the hopes that it would get sick, or maybe he could choke it with himself. Maybe his plan was to get on the inside and then attack from within, kind of like the Trojans. It does not seem that his plan worked.
:th

In this particular case, the raccoon attacked the dog not the other way around. I have one here that is about 50 pounds, comes up to my male neighbors thigh on its hind legs. I do not want my dogs near it. My female shepherd finds it in the trees all the time. The thing is just huge.

I would hope it would just stay on the other side of the fence. The dogs presence should be enough to deter it, but I do know that when its in the tree, it has a staring contest with the dog and me.

In this particular case, the raccoon attacked the dog not the other way around. I have one here that is about 50 pounds, comes up to my male neighbors thigh on its hind legs. I do not want my dogs near it. My female shepherd finds it in the trees all the time. The thing is just huge.

I would hope it would just stay on the other side of the fence. The dogs presence should be enough to deter it, but I do know that when its in the tree, it has a staring contest with the dog and me.

I prefer to deter as well, that's why I use dogs instead of traps and guns, but a 50lb raccoon, hanging around the house, that sucker would have to go bye bye. I think you should get your trapper friend over there ASAP, before you, your pets or neighbors get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom