Anna's Artists Chat Thread

Pics
Yayy!!! A new chapter!
Only a couple suggestions for your first chapter.
Can you make it more evident at the beginning that Sam is coming home from her neighbors house? And give the reader a clue that Sam is a new neighbor. I thought Ammil was the new neighbor, not the other way around.
Yeah, I'll do that! Thanks! This latest draft was a bit rushed so I may have missed certain things

Chapter 7 Assistance
Peregrine hopped on the little perch hanging from Pearl’s house. Gia landed on a branch not far from him, out of the view of the doorway. He shifted uncomfortably. He had a basket of unshelled and seeds nuts strapped to him and tended to overbalance on the right.
Pearl was in the hut with a red canary. Her brother, probably. He was sitting at a writing desk and began to read a book that was set upon it.
“Pearl!” Peregrine said, poking his beak into the hole. “Good morning!” he grinned. Pearl’s eyes widened. “How did you get here? How did you find my house?”
“Very easily,” Peregrine said. It wasn’t hard to ask her neighbors for the location of the only red canary hut on the west side of town. He took a close look at Pearl and found she didn’t have her dagger. He waved his right wing at Gia.
“Who is this?” asked the male canary, drawing his brows together.
Pearl sighed. “It’s an impertinent fledgling who I met in town. He and his friend kept pestering me with questions. He’s called Falcon or something.”
“Am not! My name is Peregrine!” said Peregrine.
“It’s a shame your friend isn’t here,” Pearl said. “Apparently she was a red canary.”
“I actually AM here today!” Gia said, shooting past Peregrine and into the hut. “Me and Peregrine just decided it would be wise for Peregrine to precede me to make sure you didn’t have weapons to stab anybody with when I came in.”
Indeed, both canaries had reached for their belts reflexively. Gia had that sort of effect on birds.
Peregrine hopped neatly into the hut. Lately, he’d gotten pretty good at keeping his balance when entering huts.
“So you’re a red canary?” asked the male canary, staring at Gia’s red feathers. “Who are your parents?”
Gia raised her head. “My adoptive parents are Leonard and Adelia Leaflow. My biological parents have fled the village. That is one of the reasons why I ask you this: Pearl, can you take me to the red canary colony and your relatives?”
Pearl whispered into her brother’s ear. “That one’s Gia.”
“Nice to meet you both. I’m Deer,” said the male canary. He was smiling pleasantly.
“Nice to meet you!” Peregrine supplied.
“Well? Can you take us to the red canary colony?” Gia asked.
Pearl gave Gia a haughty look. “It’s not a question of whether I can take you, it’s more of a ‘why would I?’”
“Pity!” Peregrine said. “Also, an excuse to visit your family.”
“Also maybe you can save face after threatening fledglings with a knife by using it for some non cowardly things like killing great big predators.”
“Most importantly, I brought snacks!” Peregrine jumped up and down so the canaries could hear his basket rattle.
Deer laughed. “Sounds like excellent reasons to me.” Then he glared at Pearl. “You’ve been threatening children again?”
“You could barely call that a threat,” Pearl said. “I said what my knife was for, not that I would use it.” She calmly strapped on her knife belt, where her dagger still hung.
Peregrine took this normally contentious gesture as a good sign. “So you’ll bring us?”
“Yeah, yeah, keep your feathers on. You impertinent fledglings have me convinced,” Pearl said, riffling through a cupboard. “Still. You forgot something.”
“What?” asked Peregrine. The magic word? “Please?”
Pearl shoved a waterskin at his abdomen. It dropped to the floor and Peregrine picked it up with a claw. “Water,” she said.
The trio was flying through the forest now, properly equipped with very tiny water skins. They had told Gia’s parents that they were going to hang out with her, but not Peregrine’s. Anything flew by Gia’s parents. They could tell Peregrine’s after they left.
“That way,” said Pearl, “they can blame me when you don’t come home for supper. Or breakfast, either.” Peregrine already had the theory that Pearl didn’t fear death. The fact that she didn’t seem to care what his own parents thought of her only solidified this theory.
The forest journey proved to be uneventful. It also proved that, no matter how heavy it seemed, one bird’s burden was not enough to feed three. It was enough to slow them down though, as Peregrine was dragging behind.
More importantly, the forest journey proved that food was a very good way of convincing others. Pearl was quite convinced that it was useless to include Peregrine on the venture. Her opinion very quickly changed when he offered her some nuts.
With nothing other than not-enough-seed for lunch, Peregrine was very tired and very hungry when he got to the Canary Forest Border.
There was a little river splitting the forest. On Peregrine’s side of the river leafy deciduous trees squatted beside it. On the other side tall pines soared above the river.
Pearl flew cheerfully ahead, hovering over the river. “Here’s the official Canary Forest Border!” she crowed. “Once you leave, you are no longer on Canary territory.”
Gia shot across the water. “Free lands!” she shouted.
The exhausted Peregrine crossed the river with little pomp, though he did stop for a drink. (The waterskins had been very tiny, as you may remember.)
As the birds approached the village, he could only hope that they had gotten there in time for dinner.

On Peregrine’s side of the river leafy deciduous trees squatted beside it. On the other side tall pines soared above the river.
Just a quick correction: There should be a comma after the part, "On Peregrine's side of the river," separating "river," and "leafy." There should also be one in the next sentence, separating "side," and "tall."

Hi guys! I just wanted to say something in case any of you may need it.

Your flaws do not define you. Your appearance does not define you. Your experiences in life do not define you. YOU define you. And you are amazing for just being alive! You were not made to be a mistake. You were made to be special. Do not get wrapped up in changing things about yourself that don't matter. And when you do need to improve, do not feel guilty or that you are worthless or unloved because you make mistakes just like everyone else.
Don't be ashamed of yourself. Don't blame yourself for things that aren't your fault. Don't feel like no one cares because that will never be true.
YOU CAN ONLY GET BETTER. YOU ARE ENOUGH.

Hi guys! I just wanted to say something in case any of you may need it.

Your flaws do not define you. Your appearance does not define you. Your experiences in life do not define you. YOU define you. And you are amazing for just being alive! You were not made to be a mistake. You were made to be special. Do not get wrapped up in changing things about yourself that don't matter. And when you do need to improve, do not feel guilty or that you are worthless or unloved because you make mistakes just like everyone else.
Don't be ashamed of yourself. Don't blame yourself for things that aren't your fault. Don't feel like no one cares because that will never be true.
YOU CAN ONLY GET BETTER. YOU ARE ENOUGH.
Indeed.

(Also, it's been a while -- how have you been, puffypoo? :hugs ).

Back
Top Bottom