Annie's thread- Five puppies! LOTS of PICS on page 10!

You may be able to change the battery in the one you have. They normally take a watch type battery. I use one for my dogs and another for the horses. I had to change the battery in one of them right after I bought it.

Last edited:
Yes today is day 50 from first tie. Way to early to be having puppies, I will be taking her temp again before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning just to see what it reads, but think a new thermometer 7-10$ is not to bad, in case I buy a new battery and it still doesn't work right.

Thanks again
Melissa

I am so excited for you - I have whelped two litters of puppies and they are so fun, especially if you have a good mama! How far are you from Des Moines?

We are about four hours from Des Moines. I just wish I had a working thermometer, Gonna have to get one tonight. The temp this morning at 10:30 was 99.9 which is still to low. I hope its the thermometer anyway. I'm going to take it again soon just to see what it says. I marked one inch up on it with permanent marker so I know I have it in the right place. What kind of dogs do you have PBJ?

I am excited but also worried that she might have them too soon. 56 days is the earliest its safe for her to have them right?

yeah I bought the $12 one because I wanted to be sure it worked right. Well last night it read 99.1. I figured well its a bit closer anyway, that was with the cover on it, Today I got up to find that Anne had gotten out of the fence, she was sitting on the front porch whining, (she got let out by DH at 9am, I got up at 10:30. I got her to come in no problem (usually she will run away like "I'm free, you can't catch me") She followed me to the bathroom and laid down on the floor, she didn't get up when I did, just stayed laying there, so I went and got both thermometers, The new one read 98.7 the first time, I then just turned it off and turned it back on again, without removing it, the second time it read 99.1. So I took it with the old thermometer just to see and it read 98.7. Seems like if they are both reading 98.7 that must be right. I called vet, to see what he thought if something could be wrong. He said hes not worried about it as its not a fever, that I should watch her because it could be early labor signs, he said with a big litter they sometimes go early. but day 52???? She went out with me when I did chores but just laid on the cement by the back porch, I made her come back in with me and she is now laying in her pool, keeps turning from side to side, but seems to be comfy now, laying on her side stretched out and sleeping. So what do you think? Could it be soon? My scale and puppy id bands don't arrive in the mail for three more days! I am suppose to work at 2, I hope I have a surer sign before then, I don't want to call in if I don't have to ( we only get three call ins before being fired, this would be my first one, but I want to be sure she is having them before I use it)

edited to add: she has eaten nothing today, even turned her nose up to a beggan strip treat (she is nuts for these)

Last edited:
It is normal for temp to fluctuate some throughout the day. If you know for sure she is on day 52 then she should have some time to go before giving birth to the pups. There was just a litter born in WA that was sired by one of my boys. This girl's temp bounced from 99-100 for over a week before she had the real temp drop, and then subsequently went into labor.

She is probably not feeling too hot right now with her abdomen being so stretched and distended... Probably lots of puppies in there. How is her mammary development? She should get real full and nipples will get real pink a few days prior to labor.

Has she eaten anything for you since this afternoon? My girls get very picky about food late in pregnancy. For the last few weeks, what ever they want they get
wink.png
I had one girl who wanted deli turkey and cheese the last week of pregnancy. Wouldn't eat anything else!

She did eat a bit of her food for my husband when I was at work. She also ate most of the rest when I got home at 11:30. She has always been a picky eater, for a few weeks we couldn't get her to eat anything but chicken gizzards, she wouldn't even eat roast that week. She is now on a " not good quality" dog food, because it is what she will eat. 1 cup of Kibbles N Bits Gourmet Bistro. It has corn as first ingredient, but at least she eats it. I mix in a packet (about half a cup?) of Purina Moist and Meaty(she loves that stuff, will usually eat the whole packet) and a half a cup of High Quality Earth Holistic Puppy food, If I put in more then a half cup of that she will not eat anything in the whole bowl, still often leaves a quarter cup of the that at the bottom but at least I get some of it in her. She also gets gizzards as a treat, as well as beggan strips (something she wouldn't touch before pregnancy) as treats.

Her temp as of 11:38 is 99.5. So up from this mornings 98.7. I feel bad for taking the temp she had just settled into a comfortable position, this morning she just stayed laying but tonight she got up and is now trying to get comfortable again.

Annie is fine today, I will do a temp between 11 and 12, she both peed and pooped in the kitchen last night, even though she was out around 3am and I got up at 6 to let her our, she had already pooped, I let her out for about ten minutes, she peed , then let her in and went back to bed till 10, she had peed on the floor when I got up, but only just, I wish she would wake me up or something to tell me she needs out, she never has accidents if we are up and awake with her, My puppy ID bands came yesterday, what a joke, I could of made those, they look like colored computer paper that someone cut into huge strips and put a sticky piece at one end. With shipping I paid almost 7$ for them still waiting on my clamps, scale and exersise pen to show up. The pen was ordered a week before anything else, when the UPS guy pulled up yesterday I thought for sure that is what he had but nope tiny box of id bands.

Well I will update you all with the temp as soon as I get it.
Temp is 98.7 again. so looking at the last few days we get a pretty constant pattern

5/30/11- 12:00am-98.1
5/30/11-12(midnight)- 99.1

5/31/11-10:30am-99.9
5/31/11- 12(midnight)- 99.1

6/1/11- 11am- 98.7
6/1/11- 11:30pm- 99.5

6/2/11- 11:11am- 98.7

seems like its normally lower in the morning then higher in the evening.

edited to add temps

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom