Announcing BYC Golden Feather Memberships

Quote:
For those that have been around BYC through the years, back on EZ you will recall the EZ supporter membership. It was very similar, it gave you extra space and some features, and the payment you gave went direct to the board costs. The other way to help out with costs was the community chest donations if you did not want to have extra bells and whistles on your account. Once you were an EZ supporter you could access the EZ forum through your profile to find out how to use the features you now had. For both supporters and non-supporters the chicken information on the main board was still the same, and even non-members could view it, those that found us by googling a chicken question or concern.

No access to chicken related information is going to change here, that is not the goal at all, in fact the purpose of this community is the sharing of chicken related information to all, public, member and GFM. The GFM is option for those that wish to help support the site and have some extra tools or features at hand while they are here. This is totally optional, regular memberships will always be here, and the chicken forum will be open to the public as well.

Quote:
Rusty: Have you gotten good information from the site? How much would you have spent on books, magazines, vet bills, etc. had you not asked questions? You think $1.67/month is too much to show your support?

There is one section for Golden members. Just one, not a whole forum.

And you're right, it's very nice that it's been free for you, too bad it's not been free for Rob, too.
Christina

I have a question. If there are two people in the house, and both are members, do they each pay, or would it be one price per household, up to so many members? Like me and the1much, is it $12 each or $12 per household?

You could get a group of 3 (debiraymond, rickihupp and wildsky) thus makes up "The Golden Girls"
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I vote Debi to be "blanche" the frisky one LMAO
lau.gif
lau.gif

HEY!!! THIS WAS MY 500TH POST!!!! I am a Chicken GODESSSSSSSSSS

Last edited:
Quote:
If it isnt finalized changes can still be made, or are sudgestions from non-gold members no longer welcome?

You are funny. Nothing has changed in that regard. We welcome suggestions from everyone as you well know. To suggest otherwise is not nice.

Quote:
sigh.

Thoughts:
1. Nifty owns this forum and is entitled to do whatever he wants with it, as in "he who pays the bills makes the decisions."

2. What makes this such an incredible source of good information about chickens is the generosity of many people who willingly (and for gratis) share their expertise and experiences. They never asked to be paid for it. They do it out of the goodness of their hearts and for the love of the hobby.

3. "Private forums" inevitably lead to the main (free) forums' decline as everyone moves to the private ones to make sure they aren't missing anything. When that happens, they are then paying the website to share their free information with others.

4. I will never pay to join a chicken forum no matter how fine a forum it is.

5. Gee, it sure was nice while it lasted.

Rusty

We will be sorry to lose your participation.

Just to make it clear, the members section is not some secret-handshake society where we gossip about others, unlike some other forums out there. It is merely a place for the members to discuss their membership and the features associated with it. Any chicken related posts will be still in the main forum where all can participate.

I hope this clears some things up and points the discussion to the positive instead of looking for negatives.

Thanks.

When do you get the custom titles after becoming a golden feather member? I typed my request into the comment box while I was checking out.

Quote:
Very good point, and for anybody interested, this should satisfy your inner geek:

We have a server in a fully managed datacenter. The facility has state of the art power redundancy, industrial cooling, continuous battery power, industrial-class generators, and over a ton of cooling capacity per individual server rack. It also has top notch security & fire suppression.

I have full root access to the server and can do almost anything remotely (most via a linux prompt) that you could do at the actual machine (reboot, install applications, etc). The only stuff I can't do (swap hard drives, pull the power cord, etc.) can be done by the 24/7 onsite staff.

The server is a Dual Xeon 3 GHz processor (two quad cores = 8 CPUs) with SCSI HardDrives in RAID 10 with dual gigabit network interfaces.

Oh, and I'm pretty picky about backups too: img/smilies/big_smile.png" alt="big_smile" />">http://www.nifty-stuff.com/daily-mysql-database-backup.php

My inner geek is quite pleased. I now use linux strictly (slackware) and my boy friend has run a small server or two in the past for games.

Back
Top Bottom