Another ? about baby turkeys.....

Fry babies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Oak Harbor, Washington
The baby turkey we got today acts like it's freaking out and will not settle down... we've had it in w/ out chicks and that didn't seem to help out any so we put it in a box by itself and that hasn't worked either. The only way it will settle down at all is when my wife holds it..... for some reason she doesn't want to sleep w/ it tonight
hu.gif
can't figure out why!!!!! Any help out there concerning this?

Would they do better in pairs?

Last edited:
Uh, oh it imprinted on your wife (she is now a turkey mama). Put it in with the chicks and make sure it knows where and how to get to food and water (what variety of turk is it?). Turk poults really need higher protein (28-30%) starter - gamebird starter - than chicks.
Yes, it will call to you every time you get out of its sight. They do much better in pairs/small groups - they are very social birds. They love to be fed moths/meal worms, etc. - but don't make it a habit (particularly if this is a thanksgiving turkey).

I had a lone turkey last year. I carried her around in a towel in my purse most of the time since I didn't have any chicks to brood with her (she was a surprise rescue from some eggs my friend had that didn't hatch, I opened them up to see if they'd developed and there she was. My friend didn't have the time to care for her and I'm a sucker for any baby :rolleyes: ). Anyway, its alot of work to be a surrogate turkey mama, but that turk is one of my best animal buddies! She'll even come flying across the yard when I whistle for her and jump up in my lap for a cuddle (I don't think she's aware she weighs about 20 lbs!). If your wife doesn't have that kind of time to invest, y'all should probably put it in with the chicks. Leave it there, even if it cries. It'll bond to the chicks eventually. Or, maybe try giving it something fluffy to snuggle with in its own brooder.....good luck!

Well thanks for the responces. Unfortunately it ran and peeped all night, must have had anxiety problems, and passed out this morning........ permanetly
hit.gif
. So we went back and got two this time, they seem to do better and are holding their own w/ the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom