Another coyote thread

I'm not big on eliminating predators just because they are predators because they tend to keep themselves in check, especially territorial animals like coyotes, but once they start on domestic stock they have to be eliminated. Given the number of coyotes around I hope you get the ones causing the problems and the new ones that move in (because they will fill the vacuum) will be better behaved. Good luck.

Are you sure that the donkey was killed by the coyotes? I ask because the farmers in our area use donkeys as coyote protection. One swift kick and those coyotes would be dead...

Quote:
i could be wrong but i don't think a donkey in its 30s would do as well as a donkey in its prime against a gang of yotes but im not to familiar on them

You're correct, Barred. He was between the ages of 31-33. His original owners couldn't remember the exact year of his birth. He also had arthritis in both front knees that required anti-inflamatory injections and had poor eyesight. He was by no means in the prime of his life, but he wasn't standing two feet in his grave, either. Had he been a much younger fellow, he wouldn't have met this fate I'm almost positive.

The trappers came this morning and set snares baited with whole beaver. My dog was thoroughly disgusted with the dead beavers, amusingly enough. He wanted nothing to do with them. I'm anxious to see what morning brings.

Quote:
Sure he was. He's only waiting until you're not paying attention then he'll be off to roll in it.
big_smile.png

I noticed you're in middle/southern Tennessee. We have some hunters near here (actually in Talladega) who only hunt coyotes --they love to hunt them for sport & they do sell the hides. They are real experts at getting them. Coyotes are not the easiest animals to trap or hunt.

I believe I'd be out there myself with gun if they'd killed a 30+ year old donkey of mine (and all night if it took it). I don't know why the LGDs aren't being more effective. My mutt dogs won't let a coyote anywhere near our place.

That's just so very sad about your donkey and the other losses.

It does seem very odd that the coyotes have started this only recently after years(?) of no issues. It crossed my mind wondering if part of the neighbor's flock was suddenly free ranged an/or in chicken wire only coops, and if they were the first hit, or if cats or dogs or other easy prey had ever came up slowly missing beforehand.

We did our best to try to fence out predators when living in the middle of coyote country, also usually had several large dogs, and used hot wire. Coyotes view dogs as either prey or competitors to be eliminated. That's why we usually had several med-large dogs (usually 4-5), otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance against the coyotes.

Unfortunately, not coyotes but neighboring dogs did much of our damages when we didn't have dogs, and were even caught several times in the act when we didn't have enough dogs for them to be able to fend off the pet dog packs that would be let run.

Coyotes and livestock attacking dogs were dispatched on our property.

About a year ago a guy here started a service where he'd bring his wolf over to mark properties having coyote problems.

Don't know if fresh wolf urine is better than bottled, or if it even works.

Sorry to hear of your losses...i think you made a wise decision getting professional help. They may start attacking some of your family members next when done killing all of your livestock.. It's a well documented fact that plenty of children and adults have been attacked by coyotoes, resulting in serious injury and a few deaths.. Good luck with getting them under control...

Back
Top Bottom