Another dog attack

ckhd

Chirping
Sep 17, 2018
St. Johns, AZ
This time, it was my dog, not the neighbor's. She had been around the chickens plenty of times, but I guess she was bored, got loose and decided to work them over.

4 - with minor or no injuries
1 - has been completely skinned on her left side (the "alpha hen" named Colonel mentioned here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dog-attack-nuclear-poop.1275300/), it's full of dirt, and I'm not going to be able to save her this time, so I'm going to euthanize the poor thing tonight. Hate to since I'm sure she fought again to protect the others
1 - KIA. Rip Virgil. You were a goofy Barred Rock who loved to come get treats from me.
7 - MIA. It's dark now, too dark to look. My hopes are they find a safe roost tonight and come back tomorrow for food and water, providing they survive the coyotes and skunks that frequently try to visit their coop. One is a cockerel, which would make me feel better, but he's still too young to know he's not just the lowest hen in the pecking order​

Pretty sure one of the missing Buff Orpingtons (Buffy that is also mentioned in that thread) is either dead or severely injured. Found a huge pile of feathers that looked like hers (although I have two other Buff Orpingtons that I can't find, but you get to know your girls, right?), and she's one of my favorites. Certainly hope it's not my "pet", Bar-B Q, who is a Buff Orpington pullet. She will come when called and beg to be picked up. She didn't come when I called.

Don't need any medical advice, just venting frustrations at my own stupid dog and this forum is for "injuries".

I have recently had the same thing happen my dog killed 3 chickens that I had in my shed as a expirment. now I am unsure what to do with my last one left. He is super friendly and nice. I tried introducing him with my hens and they atacked him. So I tried my roosters and the same thing happened.

I am sorry to hear that your hen will have to be euthanized. Did your dog get into the chicken pen or are your chickens permitted to free range?

They free range in the daytime. They often get close to and even within reach of this and my other two dogs without them even batting an eye.

I have recently had the same thing happen my dog killed 3 chickens that I had in my shed as a expirment. now I am unsure what to do with my last one left. He is super friendly and nice. I tried introducing him with my hens and they atacked him. So I tried my roosters and the same thing happened.

That was a similar situation with my Bar-B. She was my last survivor, my cousin gave me 11 hens she was tired of . I thought they would kill her. I would keep them in the pen, but have her be on the outside of the fence so she was 'with' them, but they were unable to actually get her. I would put her on a roost after dark so she would be rubbing up with them, but since it was dark, they wouldn't attack her. I'd go out before it got very bright and put her back outside the fence. They eventually got used to her. She is the lowest in the pecking order, but she is now part of the flock and they don't try to kill her anymore. If you have a wire cage that they can see her but not 'get' her, maybe put it in the pen with them and her inside. I think they will eventually get used to her. Just be there and watch like a hawk until you are certain she is not going to be killed.

My daughter got back from practice and wanted to look some more. I didn't think it turn anything up, but we found Annabelle, our Americauna. Unfortunately, she has her entire right side skinned, also full of dirt. Got to put her out of her misery too.

Hope the other 6 fared better. Followed a trail of Buff Orpington feathers, but didn't find any of the missing three. Found a pile of Rhode Island Red feathers, so "Tortilla" probably didn't make it (my kids come up with strange chicken names).

I'm not going to be able to search tomorrow, I am involved in elections and I have statutory deadlines that get me striped pajamas if I miss them. Hopefully they come home on their own, or other family can find them in the daylight.

Back
Top Bottom