Another Egg Bound Hen.

KsKingBee,,glad he's doing better for you but it's probably going to ruin using him for breeding this season. I lost my first male Taupe because of cocci,,,the more I admire these birds the more evident it is to me that we NEED TO handle them more. The few birds of mine that have had cocci I've first noticed after handling them and feeling their breastbone.Feathers hides a lot, enough that the bird can be infected long enough to become so weak by the time we notice there is a visisble sign,it's too late.

KsKingBee,,glad he's doing better for you but it's probably going to ruin using him for breeding this season. I lost my first male Taupe because of cocci,,,the more I admire these birds the more evident it is to me that we NEED TO handle them more. The few birds of mine that have had cocci I've first noticed after handling them and feeling their breastbone.Feathers hides a lot, enough that the bird can be infected long enough to become so weak by the time we notice there is a visisble sign,it's too late.

Thanks for the 'heads up', he is doing fine now. Not much worry about breeding him this year as he is only a yearling. I would much rather deal with that cocci issue than an egg bound hen. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
hide.gif

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear that. Kathy mentioned to me just a few days ago that she felt, treating quickly was important in egg binding. That's why I brought mine in and gave calcium within an hour of finding her down. Once again, I'd say she has saved a hen's life. I got a slightly olive oily but otherwise perfect egg from mine during the night.

This is a larger hen and I know she has laid larger eggs, she is 8 or 9 now and never had any laying problems before, so I am not sure what to attribute this to. I fought hard for this egg, and I'm going to set it, but I am guessing the olive oil may render it unviable. Again, Q8 sorry you lost your girl.
hugs.gif

Just a note, we have positive development in Bertolli's olive oil egg as of day 5.

My RIR hen is egg bound I think. I found her last night in the coop in the corner. I brought her in the house. her crop is empty. She ate wet cat food and pooped ok. I wasn't sure whassup with her at that point. I put her back in the coop today and when I came home tonight is in another corner. She is doing the penguin walk. She stands in the corner and is pushing. Her vent looks ok. I checked the vent and couldn't feel anything. I soaked her for about 10 minutes in warm water and checked the vent again and couldn't feel anything. She ate some wet cat food again. She is pitiful. She is still standing in the corner for support. I don't have any calcium gluconate or tums. I do have nutri drench. Not sure what to do for the poor gal. The calcium gluconate is supposed to help a hen pass an egg?

My RIR hen is egg bound I think. I found her last night in the coop in the corner. I brought her in the house. her crop is empty. She ate wet cat food and pooped ok. I wasn't sure whassup with her at that point. I put her back in the coop today and when I came home tonight is in another corner. She is doing the penguin walk. She stands in the corner and is pushing. Her vent looks ok. I checked the vent and couldn't feel anything. I soaked her for about 10 minutes in warm water and checked the vent again and couldn't feel anything. She ate some wet cat food again. She is pitiful. She is still standing in the corner for support. I don't have any calcium gluconate or tums. I do have nutri drench. Not sure what to do for the poor gal. The calcium gluconate is supposed to help a hen pass an egg?

Are you sure there's no egg?

-Kathy

-Kathy

I put my finger up there as far as I could go. I felt something but it was out of reach. Not sure if it was an egg and too far in there for me to tell. I just went down there and she is propped up in the corner. I have her in the bathroom with the heat cranked up and a towel around her. She is wet from where I soaked her. I did just get some nutri drench down her along with some water. She pooped some watery poop when I picked her up. I re-checked her vent and don't feel anything now. She is so pitiful.

Last edited:

-Kathy

I put my finger up there as far as I could go. I felt something but it was out of reach. Not sure if it was an egg and too far in there for me to tell. I just went down there and she is propped up in the corner. I have her in the bathroom with the heat cranked up and a towel around her. She is wet from where I soaked her. I did just get some nutri drench down her along with some water. She pooped some watery poop when I picked her up. I re-checked her vent and don't feel anything now. She is so pitiful.

6 am she has pooped but is still propped up in the corner and can barely do the penguin walk. I put her down. No egg. Ascites and organs were gray, especially liver. So I guess liver disease. I had two hens drop dead in the coop 2 weeks ago (didn't do a necropsy on them) and one Lazarus that I tried to put down by breaking her neck and she came back to life 2 days later. She seems to be doing fine now. Go figure. She should at least be paralyzed with what I did to that neck. Can't tell if she is laying but she is doing better than she was before I 'put her down'. All these gals are 1 year 8 months.
Sigh. I've been doing chickens for nearly 6 years and this is the first time I've seen the penguin walk and this issue but I've had several drop dead off the roost so maybe that's what they had too. None are overweight. I hate this part of chickens. Not know whassup and not being able to help them.

Back
Top Bottom