Another "Is this a roo?" thread...

AtlanticCity

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
Well, the title says it all really. But here's some addition info...

I have 8 birds total: 4 Buff Orpingtons, 2 "Green Queens" and 2 Barred Rocks.

Both of the Barred Rocks, 1 of the Green Queens and 2 of the Buffs are very clearly hens, however 2 of the Buffs and 1 of the Greens Queens have me thinking they are actually roosters.

The hatchery I bought them from claims a 95% accuracy rate when sexing chicks so to have 3 of the 8 be male would be a statistical outlier (unless the people at the hatchery are regular liars) and I am new to this hobby so I may be just paranoid. However I got woken up by crowing the other morning and I spent today watching the two "Big Buffs" and the questionable Green Queen chest-bump each other with hackles raised.

But behavior aside, check out these pics. Again, I'm no pro but the sickle tails, pointy hackles, cascading/waterfall saddle feathers.... man, I think they look like roos! Am I crazy or do I have some tough decisions (and possible some delicious chicken dinners) to make?

Thank you for your help and expertise.

Attachments

• Buff and GQ.jpg
    Buff and GQ.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 35
  • BBuff.jpg
    BBuff.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 33
Well, the title says it all really. But here's some addition info...

I have 8 birds total: 4 Buff Orpingtons, 2 "Green Queens" and 2 Barred Rocks.

Both of the Barred Rocks, 1 of the Green Queens and 2 of the Buffs are very clearly hens, however 2 of the Buffs and 1 of the Greens Queens have me thinking they are actually roosters.

The hatchery I bought them from claims a 95% accuracy rate when sexing chicks so to have 3 of the 8 be male would be a statistical outlier (unless the people at the hatchery are regular liars) and I am new to this hobby so I may be just paranoid. However I got woken up by crowing the other morning and I spent today watching the two "Big Buffs" and the questionable Green Queen chest-bump each other with hackles raised.

But behavior aside, check out these pics. Again, I'm no pro but the sickle tails, pointy hackles, cascading/waterfall saddle feathers.... man, I think they look like roos! Am I crazy or do I have some tough decisions (and possible some delicious chicken dinners) to make?

Thank you for your help and expertise.
These are all cockerels. I'm sorry :hugs

Back
Top Bottom